Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Best Beginner Fly Tying Book

Hi Guys,

There are so many great books out there on beginner fly tying but if I'm to pick two or three to suggest to the Association what three would you guys all reccommend? Now I'm talking never tied a fly before, going to have some lessons, need a book type beginner tyer! smile.gif smile.gif

Thanks.

Damian

I will second Benchside reference. This is the best book for fly tying. I read this book a few times cover to cover bugeyes.gif . It makes great bathroom reading! This book is great. You can get it free when you sign up for some fly tying magazine for 5 years for about $100 at amotoobooks (sp?) or buy it on ebay for about $70.

QUOTE (lthrnk @ Feb 18 2005, 08:57 PM)
"Orvis Guide to Beginning Fly Tying". Covers everything you need to start and reference

If your talking about the one by Eric Lieser that is a great book. The pictures are clear and it gives you a good understanding of all the basic skills.

The Fly Tyers Bench Reference book is an excellent reference book if you are not in a budget. I found that using a video, and the one I would recommend for beginners would be Beginning Fly Tying by Jack Dennis. Very basic and a good one for following steps. A good website for beginners would be (and I am not advertising)

http://www.tie1on.net/

Just thought I would add some extra information.

Nicholas

I teach fly tying, and the book I use is Skip Morris book "Fly Tying made Clear and Simple".

That said, if I was sending something to someone who's only help would be the book, in purchasing hooks and materials, equipment, and learning to tie: Hands down 2 books. Randall Kaufmann "Tying Nymphs" and his accompanying book "Tying Dry Flies".

QUOTE (McManus @ Feb 18 2005, 09:53 PM)
That said, if I was sending something to someone who's only help would be the book, in purchasing hooks and materials, equipment, and learning to tie: Hands down 2 books. Randall Kaufmann "Tying Nymphs" and his accompanying book "Tying Dry Flies".

that is dead-on rock solid advice.

I can't agree more.

as a matter of fact I've said it hundreds of times.

mgj

Thanks everybody, keep the suggestions coming, see what kind of a consensus I can build here. The reason I'm asking is I'm going to have a "get started on the right foot" section on my website for our association and I'd like to have a couple good beginner books at all different budget levels available for this section.

Thanks again for the tips.

Damian

this are older books Fly Tying by Helen Shaw,Master Flytying Guide, buy Art Flicks

How to tie freshwater flies by kenneth bay

TL> Mike

QUOTE (mgj @ Feb 18 2005, 10:38 PM)
QUOTE (McManus @ Feb 18 2005, 09:53 PM)
That said, if I was sending something to someone who's only help would be the book, in purchasing hooks and materials, equipment, and learning to tie: Hands down 2 books.  Randall Kaufmann "Tying Nymphs" and his accompanying book "Tying Dry Flies".

that is dead-on rock solid advice.

I can't agree more.

as a matter of fact I've said it hundreds of times.

mgj

I have to agree....can't beat the Kaufmann books!

Ralph biggrin.gif

Guys, seriously, the man asked abou the best book for beginners. While the Benchside Reference may be the bible, It is not the best for beginners. If I'm a beginner, I'm not dropping a hundred on my first tying book. Th Skip Morris book is what I learned to tie from on a modest vise. Too often, inquiries about what would be best for beginners turn into a string of endorsements. "My vise is the way to go".

It's too bad that Al Campbell's series on FAOL isn't a book. He has some great stuff there. I have to agree with Jeff. There can be some pretty intimidating stuff in the Reference. Kaufmann's books make for a good read. Dave Hughes' Essential Trout Flies has some good stuff, also. Some pretty decent explanations and directions on patterns that go from basic to the more difficult.

Mike