Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Big-Hat river

Vise upgrade

New to FTF..Looking to replace vise from long ago kit after 20 yr lull tying. Mainly for warm water fish. Mostly #8 to 2/0 hooks..

Rotary,pedestal type with ability to add jaw options in $150 range should work for me per research. Figure can get hands-on opinions from Forum..

Open to gently used equipment if trading post site avail..

I have been using the Wolff Indiana Atlas vise in our fly tying sessions for PHW. Our classes are focused on salt water, and warm water patterns in sizes 6 to 2/0, and they have worked out very well for us. They can be found for right at $150 if you shop online.

The Atlas is pretty decent I have been mostly happy with mine, it holds every hook I've put into it easily including some pretty heavy 3/0 hooks. Really my only complaint is it doesn't hold super well when packing deer hair bugs but most don't, the only option that might do noticeably better is as least twice the cost.

There will be a few who have critical words for the Atlas, and somewhat warranted. Minor details though. It's not the end-all of vises, but it's a damn good deal for the price. Yes, I have one. But I do not have a lot of experience with other vises. If you're in the "Southwest," you could get it for $119 if picked up, $125 shipped. there is no bobbin holder, or travel case, but you also do not need to buy a separate jaw for bigger hooks.

by the way, i've been using it for almost 2 years now, from size 22 trout flies to 2/0 bass bugs.

eric

fresno, ca.

I have been using the Griffin Montana Mongoose almost since they came out. I have tied on hooks from 22 all the way up to the 3/0 I have used for my attempts at classic salmon flies.

A recent search was showing them from $199 up to $225. With that you get pedestal and clamp bases, material holder, bobbin cradle, ceramic bobbin, hackle gage, and a travel case.

But asking which is the best for the price is like asking who brews the best beer. You will get several answers. My recommendation is to try and tie on several vises. See which one you prefer.

I have the Atlas and agree it does lack some level of quality finishing as described above, but IMHO, not to any hindring degree! Its more slight annoyance, which you wouldn'get with a higher quality vise. But at 150$, I strongly feel its the best bang for the bucks! It has handled up to 6/0 tarpon hooks and comes with 2 bases at no extra cost. The rotary function works well and it holds solidly even spinning deer hair bombers. The theads are a bit rough... as well as the cam lever. But iþ gets the job done! If you want the most enjoyable tying experience, look elsewhere. If you want a vise that does almost everyting and save some $ at the same time, its a good choice.

just my 0.02$

I've said it before in the forum, I tried the Peak and never liked it, in fact two different ones in two different shops. I'm very glad I didn't just go order one online without trying it first. I tried the Atlas and did like it but I never noticed these rough edges, maybe Wolf smoothed them out. To me the drag for the rotary function is smoother working than the Peak. Now all that said, I never bought either and still look. What I have concluded is that I have no need for the so called " true rotary" style vise. An inline that is smooth and quick will do very nicely for me if I ever do buy a new vise. Between world wide anomalies,scriptural promises and my gene pool's odd, it's very possible that may never happen. Mostly though, I don't really need a new vise !

I never could get around the awkward rotation feature of the Regal ( thinking Medallion). Regal stuck the handle right in the way, I have better access to rotation on my India made vise I've been using for 20 years. However the Regal revolution is another matter again. But then if to pay for a Regal Revolution then the Nor-Vise comes into full view. Hah, this is exactly how I go round and round on this vise situation and always conclude than my old vise works just fine, it owes me nothing and costs me nothing.

It does not bother me because it is the only rotation feature I ever had. I got used to reaching under the vise and pull the handle towards me and away.

I am at the point that I am curious about true rotation vises, but at $150 and up, I do not really need one.