Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FoamSpider

Removing Bubbles in Epoxy

How does one remove bubbles from epoxy applied to your flies?

I have some 2-part epoxy which has accidentally been exposed to heat. The heat has produced 1,000s of tiny bubbles in the epoxy. When used, the flies have dozens of bubbles all over them. While this isn't quite a negative thing from a fish-catching perspective, it does make close up photos look a bit terrible. The largest bubbles are normally removed using a bobkin, but the smallest are still there. I'm not opposed to relegating this epoxy to interior use only and buying some new exterior epoxy.

post-60238-0-99700400-1482165422_thumb.jpg

post-60238-0-92417900-1482165436_thumb.jpg

post-60238-0-80801400-1482165480_thumb.jpg

Use the UV stuff and your problem should be solved

Using any other epoxy obviously solves the problem of everything looking better, however it does not remove the bubbles from the afflicted epoxy. I'm asking if there are any techniques of removing bubbles from uncured epoxy that I may not know about.

Maybe if you send me some of those hideous Flys I'll have about idea after I inspect them. I think your best bet is to get some new epoxy.

I actually like the bubbles in the black and red one.

Maybe if you send me some of those hideous Flys I'll have about idea after I inspect them. I think your best bet is to get some new epoxy.

I actually like the bubbles in the black and red one.

I've actually considered heating the flies after applying the epoxy to increase the amount of bubbles in them as a feature. The bubbles cause them to sparkle.

post-60238-0-57559400-1482167625_thumb.jpg

Don't mix your epoxy so vigorously. That's where most bubbles come from. I've always applied light sweeping heat to pop any bubbles. Never had the heat make bubbles. Maybe you just overheated them. Maybe it's time for a different epoxy.

Don't mix your epoxy so vigorously. That's where most bubbles come from. I've always applied light sweeping heat to pop any bubbles. Never had the heat make bubbles. Maybe you just overheated them. Maybe it's time for a different epoxy.

Don't leave your epoxy too close to a space heater either. That is what happened to mine. It wasn't on at the time, but the thermostat turned it on later. Heat can remove bubbles when you have the epoxy applied very thinly (pic), but I'm applying it rather thickly (OP pics) to some flies.

I have new epoxy in the mail, due to arrive today or tomorrow.

post-60238-0-37334500-1482168687_thumb.jpg

never remove the mixing stick while stirring your epoxy

i do not see the value of new epoxy if you are imparting air bubbles in the mixing process.

wouldn't you still be adding bubbles in the new epoxy?

I'm going to agree with those above, who state that it is your mixing of the parts, not any previous heat, that is causing the bubbles to form.

That said, if the epoxy has thickened, either through the heating or age, then it might be too thick to let any bubbles out.

I've only used epoxy a few times, and never had the bubble problem. Since I know it's not any expertise on my part, it must be the epoxy that keeps it from retaining air pockets.

I've had decent luck doing this:

Thinly spread the resin and the hardener out onto aluminium foil.

(separate puddles, mind)

Take a small diameter drinking straw and blow through it,

holding the straw's tip just above the fluids. You should see a small

depression in the fluid, from the jet of air. The warm air

will slowing evolve the bubbles to the surface where they will pop.

Might not work on micro-bubbles, but the larger ones will vanish.

Caveat - this doesn't work with paste epoxy, only the less viscous types.

If your resin isn't too thick you can degass it in a partial vacuum. I haven't done this, but I believe it is an important step when making molds, etc.

>you are stirring too much

No, the epoxy exits the tube all bubbly. It wasn't like that prior to being heated. Stirring can cause that, but that isn't the problem here. In fact, a lot of the bubbles disappear when stirred; since there are so many in the first place.

CRB bubble buster from mudhole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5uSTYNURJ0

That's quite amazing stuff.

I've had decent luck doing this:

Thinly spread the resin and the hardener out onto aluminium foil.

(separate puddles, mind)

Take a small diameter drinking straw and blow through it,

holding the straw's tip just above the fluids. You should see a small

depression in the fluid, from the jet of air. The warm air

will slowing evolve the bubbles to the surface where they will pop.

Might not work on micro-bubbles, but the larger ones will vanish.

Caveat - this doesn't work with paste epoxy, only the less viscous types.

I've done this....after it was on the fly, with limited success, not before. After trying this while the epoxy is still on the stirring surface I can say that it works a great deal better. I used an air compressor instead of a straw (that moment when i realized the dubbing box was nearby and still open).

If your resin isn't too thick you can degass it in a partial vacuum. I haven't done this, but I believe it is an important step when making molds, etc.

I have a vacuum sealer for canning jars that would do that. I'd rig it up as a rotary jar; since only thickly epoxied flies need it and those need the rotor right away. I don't think I need to use partial vacuum though.

post-60238-0-54154400-1482177076_thumb.jpg

I gotta ask, how much does this epoxy cost? If it is giving you all this trouble and wasting time wouldn't it just be easier to get a uv kit? Thats what Im doing this winter...

Unless epoxy is super cheap and you just want to save money, which I of course completely understand and do the same (a lot) myself

Flats

Epoxy is cheap compared to uv goo, especially if you are good at saving it. Also it has the plus side of not smelling funny when it's cured, bulk tying especially big stuff I would use epoxy and set up a rotating drying rack. I am stuck with thing at my coffee table and keeping my stuff in a couple boxes so uv goo is better for me.