Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bhowell

First Attempt

Well I have tied my first flies. I only tied Griffiths Gnats and I uploaded them. Tell me what you think.

Here is the first one.

post-60386-0-03349600-1483922617_thumb.jpeg

And here is the last one I finished.

post-60386-0-17935100-1483922671_thumb.jpeg

Still need some practice

Good start, I would end then just a little earlier to help keep the eye clear, and do a full wrap in the same spot with the hackle so that it ends evenly.

Not bad. Are u tying them in that position in the vise or was that just to take a pic ?

Looks like your hackle got twisted, and not in the palmering respect. It looks like the stem was twisted. Not a huge deal, but just something to work on.

Those flies will catch fish.

Not bad. Are u tying them in that position in the vise or was that just to take a pic ?

When I uploaded the photos, they automatically rotated to that. No matter what I do, the site rotates them.

Good start, I would end then just a little earlier to help keep the eye clear, and do a full wrap in the same spot with the hackle so that it ends evenly.

Thanks for the advice. I figured I was finishing a bit late because the eye was always covered.

Looks like your hackle got twisted, and not in the palmering respect. It looks like the stem was twisted. Not a huge deal, but just something to work on.

Those flies will catch fish.

Everything that I have seen, read, and watched, has said to keep the "dull" side of the hackle facing you when tying and towards the eye when you palmer it. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but it always seems to twist on me.

No worries, they will catch fish.

However I would highly recommend you to ask someone near to teach you.

The fly itself is not a beauty... (as my spelling).

Try work with red tag pattern in size 10 and when that looks ok, move on to palmered flies in that size.

But first of all, find someone near and get some teaching. :-)

I still go to seminars for learning new tricks etc.

It's always nice to know how to perfectly palmer, on the other hand sometimes the fish prefer them to be a bit more clumpy and uneven. Your flies will catch fish.

Meanwhile watch this: https://youtu.be/VOcuRhiDhYE

And this ( the crystal flash is up to you, it's a variation on the original): https://youtu.be/c_DIayRmQQY

Maybe I'm seeing things but I think you have the hook in the vise wrong.

The site rotated the picture when I uploaded it.

No worries, they will catch fish.

However I would highly recommend you to ask someone near to teach you.

The fly itself is not a beauty... (as my spelling).

Try work with red tag pattern in size 10 and when that looks ok, move on to palmered flies in that size.

But first of all, find someone near and get some teaching. :-)

I still go to seminars for learning new tricks etc.

I would be happy to find seminars and people to teach me around here. We just don't have a fly shop. We do have a local fly tiers club, but it is made up of retirees and they meet every Thursday at 9 AM, at which time, I work. So sadly, I am on my own other than this website and youtube.

Try asking those retires if any of them would be willing to help you out some evening, probably at least one of them wouldn't mind something to do for a couple hours, promise donuts and coffee.

Try asking those retires if any of them would be willing to help you out some evening, probably at least one of them wouldn't mind something to do for a couple hours, promise donuts and coffee.

I was just about to post the same Vicente. I'm sure there maybe a sub group from that club that may tie informally at another time.

When I uploaded the photos, they automatically rotated to that. No matter what I do, the site rotates them.

Well, it may have rotated the photo but it didn't change the orientation of the fly in the vise, lol. When you watch those videos I posted watch them carefully and take in the smallest details. Davie McPhail is especially talented at proportions and perfection, well worth watching the steps taken. And Tightlines is a pretty standard watch around the forums too.