Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bassman1945

Abel fly tying vise

Abel vises sold on the big auction site in October and after. You should check those 2 listings if you haven't already. Congrats - someone must really like you to give you such a nice present.

This is what was given to me. Not sure if I want to keep or sell. Any advice?

You could send to me to test it out for a few months... New ones are priced at about $1500....

Gorgeous vise, for sure. If you're a collector of any kind, keep it. It will only appreciate over time.

As long as free market survives, there will be people who can and will pay good money for a vise like that.

If you need the money, sell it. If you don't, keep it.

The sites "flytire" linked to, put the price at $450.00 for the vise alone. Your's looks new, not an "antique" or anything, so about the same price.

This is the vice that I tie on still today. Long ago (ca. 1998 - 2001), I worked at a fly fishing shop. We sold Abel reels, and Steve Abel was kind of his own rep. He stopped in the store every few months or so, and 1 day he swung by to show us these new vices he was producing. I was teaching fly tying classes and tying a lot of flies for customers at that point. He asked me to tie him 4 dozen of my favorite MT trout flies for him, and he would bring me a vice. 3 weeks later, Steve, and the vice showed up, and I swapped him for the box of flies I had put together for him. He even engraved my name on the pedestal base, pretty cool.

This past year, I started to notice the very tip of the jaws were wearing a bit. They now have a tough time holding anything under a #20, and even the #18's (especially the curved scud/caddis hooks, 2457's) pop out every once in a while. I contacted Abel last year, to see if there was any way I could replace the jaws, and unfortunately they do not produce the vices any more, and thus they no longer produce the parts for them. I was pretty bummed about that, as the vice is very sturdy, and has lasted me a long time. The Abel customer service guy suggested I check out a shop that does tap and die or something along those lines. Luckily I don't tie too many small flies, and I have a couple back up vices so I just use those for the small stuff.

Anyways, not sure on the price, but the fact that replacement parts are unavailable may be something worth mentioning, or may affect the price that you can sell it for. Thought this story might be relevant to the OP.

I think reasonable is an accurate description. It is a fair price for both the buyer and the seller, especially if there are no consignment or auction fees involved.

good luck!

The sites "flytire" linked to, put the price at $450.00 for the vise alone. Your's looks new, not an "antique" or anything, so about the same price.

I have an offer of 550 dollars does that sound reasonable for the abel vise. Any advice that anyone can give me.

Thanks Don

Looks like you're getting ready to make more than retail on it.

Except that Abel doesn't make a vise anymore, so there really isn't any "retail" price for it.

I agree that $550.00 sounds like a reasonable and fair offer.