Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

What's the difference between Partridge skin grade #1 and #2?

I just bought my first Partridge skin, and I am really disappointed. I ordered a grade #1, which I expected to look like the pictures on the seller's site, but when I got the skin, it looked like a grade #2 or worse (IMHO). So my question is: , what do I look for in a grade #1 skin and how do I tell if I got a grade #1 skin vs a grade #2?

post-56493-0-71360300-1484325889_thumb.jpg post-56493-0-68554000-1484325914_thumb.jpg

SpokaneDude, A #1 skin should have a feather range down to size 20. There should be a number of 16 and 18 – quite a few more than the 20's which always seem scarce to me.

It should arrive clean and the skin shouldn't be so dry it cracks when you bend it. The size of the birds should be good and the bird fully developed.

Color contrast for the light and dark barring on the feathers should be distinct. And finally, there should be fair amount of the mottled brown barred feather on the shoulder of the wing and lower back.

If you aren't satisfied with the skin I'd quickly call or email to start the return process. Don't delay.

Oh, one other thing to remember is that we have grown used to farm and pen raised bird skins. Most partridge skins are bagged during hunting season. You have to really search for a truly "pretty and fluffy" partridge skin.

@rotaryflytyingdotcom: well, I guess I got a #1 skin... everything you mention is there, it just doesn't look like the picture, nice and full.. but I have all of the feathers you mentioned. Thank you so much for your time and info, I appreciate it.

SD

no two birds are gonna look exactly like you show in the picture nor are you likely to receive the exact skin shown on a retailers web site

It looks like the tips of many of the feathers are worn off due to bad handling...or some other factor. It's hard to tell from the photo but I would say that is definitely not grade 1 if that is the case.

I hope this doesn't cross any rules, but are there any sellers on the big auction site people have had success with in purchasing full skins? A private message would be fine if deemed best. thanks!

eric

fresno, ca