Fly Tying
Brodrash

Flies for someone new to Articulation

Okay here's the deal, I picked up some hitch and trailer hooks in size 10 and want to start tying a few articulated streamers for trout and bass, but I don't know where to start. I know size 10 is a bit on the smaller side but i'll have to throw these with a 5 wt.

I was thinking buggers and zonkers are probably a good simple start. However, if anyone has other recommendations please chime in. Other miscellaneous advice is also welcome.

Thanks!

Be mindful of tying materials that will foul the hook.

For a 5wt I think small zonkers or some bugger patterns are probably spot on.

#10 3xl hooks will get you an admirable fly on that rod.

A woolly bugger might be the easiest and lightest to the two to tie. Try tying it using just one hackle.

I think you could throw up to a size 6 pretty well I don't know what your red is but I can easily throw most size 6 Flys 65-70 with my 10 ft 4 wt. A woolly bugger style would easiest to tie.

Not sure what your after but last summer I did some, articulated Flys that were basically an ep type bait fish on the hook/back section and a spun deer hair hair head on the shank trimmed into a diver the bass liked it and it was a pretty big profile but easy to throw with a light rod.

Game Changer! I don't tie them, but they look fairly easy for a starter ... as you're tying basically the same thing on each section.

I've been binging on articulated flies lately, learning about the finer points of design, styles and fishing techniques.

For a great Youtube channel with a bunch of meaty articulated streamers, take a gander at some of these videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/flyfishingtheozarks/videos

The Flymen Fishing Company also had a great blog post on different styles: https://flymenfishingcompany.com/blogs/blog/47154625-3-articulated-streamer-fly-styles-that-simply-get-er-done

If you fish for trout an easy one to start with is a articulated pheasant tail nymph. If your looking for larger streamers check out kelly Galloup

For most articulated streamers the smallest hook you might be using for the back is a size 6. Personally I use #2 and #1 more than anything else, followed by #4 and 1/0. Im usually tying 4-6" bugs for trout

My smallest rear hooks are usually 6's attached with braid (green spider wire) with beads between the hooks to prevent rear hook fouling. you can tie your favorite streamer patterns dressing the rear hook to match or use your imagination, lots of fun. They make great trolling flies, lots of action and you get better hookups with the shorter hooks vs the 9x- 10x long Carrie Stevens hooks. have fun with it