Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Darby

Sow Bug

Hello everyone,

Don't really post much on here b/c with a little searching I normally can find someone who has already posted and the answer(s) I'm seeking. However, I'm having problem with securing the black Flashabou, to the back of the fly on a Sow Bug.

My problem is as I wrap the thread to secure the Flashabou, it pulls it off center. Now, I don't know if a fish really cares or not, but every picture and video I've seen/watched has it right down the center of the back. Is there a preferred technique to keep it in place?

Thanks,

Steve

thread torque is probably making it go off center. simply hold the flashabou on top of the body while youre making tight wrap of thread to hold it down or make a few loose wraps and move the flashabou back into position on top of the body

Flytire: I'll try the loose wraps on the material and then torque on the fold back.

Dave G: I see a major flaw I have been doing on my pinch wrap, I have been pinching the thread onto the material and then torquing instead of getting that full wrap and then torquing upward.

Thanks guys!, I really appreciate the tips and since I'm more visual, the videos.

RLTW,

Steve

Flytire: I'll try the loose wraps on the material and then torque on the fold back.

Dave G: I see a major flaw I have been doing on my pinch wrap, I have been pinching the thread onto the material and then torquing instead of getting that full wrap and then torquing upward.

Thanks guys!, I really appreciate the tips and since I'm more visual, the videos.

RLTW,

Steve

I used to have the same problem and if I don't watch my steps , still can LOL !

When that happens to me, I will just recenter it, and throw some UV resin on top to give it more of buggy look to it. If I can't fix it then I just save it for the Spring River stockers.lol

I would not use superglue. Instead, I suggest testing it first on a piece of flashabou.

Superglue does not cure clear. It turns white. You can use heat to reverse the polymerization and vaporize the superglue. But this forms noxious fumes and the superglue will deposit on other objects. This is how latent fingerprints are developed by CSIs.

Use a UV cured clear resin instead.