Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pineyridge

Thoughts on this kit?

I think just about unanimously across the forum any experienced fly tyers will say to skip the kits in general. Usually you are better off getting individual tools you really need and the materials for your first fly pattern or two and just build from there a few pieces at a time.. Kit's might have a few tools you might like or very well might not, and most assuredly a bunch of pretty much useless junk materials.

Send me the money in the next 5 minutes and I will double that offer. Two for the price of one. But you have to call NOW!...

theres 2 kits i'd recommend

dynaking

flyfishfood

both have excellent kits for the beginner

Its an infomercial, Have to think its yours? And all that stuff is cheap China crap. How do I know...I buy cheap China crap. It's not worth what the price they're asking. You can get everything on EBay, And I bet cheaper. China is big with free shipping.

It's your money ... but why buy a kit with:

9 vises (most people only use one)

multiples of other tools you'll probably never or rarely use (like wing burners) ...

"more material than you'll use in a lifetime" (or, more likely, will never even want to use in this lifetime)

????

On the other hand, you have 30 days to send it back for a full refund if you're not satisfied. Since it'll probably take 6 weeks to get to you, make sure that's 30 days from receipt, not from purchase.

I'm amazed that anybody would look at that page and give this a nanosecond of thought. Then watch the video and still wonder if it's a good deal. If one is still hooked surely the check out price of $550.00 would change their mind. Holy crap I can't believe it.

If you are serious about spending that kind of money to get started, I put together a list of materials

that came with a very well respected fly shop's "Premium Materials Kit" and priced the materials

and starter tools (you can always upgrade/add to the list). For kicks, I priced what I would recommend

to a novice fly tyer from J Stockard back a couple of years ago.

The basic materials and tools added up to around $325 and I included further suggestions for additional

materials that will cover most of what I use for tying trout flies - the whole list added up to $440 before

shipping.

What my recommended list does not include is a whole bunch of vises, tools, materials that you are not

likely to use or are of such poor quality, will frustrate you trying to produce fish catching trout flies.

If you like, I can send this through PM as a spreadsheet (Excel) file.

Might be a bit late on this response but one way to really get a great win-win would be to go to a local fly fishing shop and tell them what you want to do and give them a budget. You will be helping out a small local business and gaining a great resource....when they see you come back they will be more than willing to help you out or introduce you to classes or others just starting out.