Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Grape

First couple flies

My first couple flies I have ever tied ... not much but I can sure see how easy it is to get hooked! I am enjoying this almost as much as being out fishing LOL

post-60333-0-44367400-1486223844_thumb.jpg

post-60333-0-87642200-1486223859_thumb.jpg

post-60333-0-34949900-1486223890_thumb.jpg

post-60333-0-49843600-1486223903_thumb.jpg

Way better than my first ties and all fish getters. Hang on to your rod tight on that first fly, I can tell you first hand about patterns similar to that and some salmon that has caught !

Great cone head, scud and stone. My only critique is the tail of the pheasant tail, don't trim the tail to length, tie in the correct length tail so that the tips of the barbules are intact. Otherwise, all very good.

Yes, I agree about trimming the pheasant tail. A good way to go about that is to tie the tail fibers in loose with just a couple of wraps of thread and then slide the fibers towards the hook shank till they are the length you want them at past the hook bend. Tie them down tight and trim the excess from the waste end that is over the hook shank, not the good end that forms the actual tail. Watch some Davie McPhail videos, he does this all the time with materials, especially tailing materials. So there you go, a way to improve one of your flies already ! But they are still great first ties !

I

You rollin fast grape. Must be spending time in front of vise, not online;) Thanks for posting, love to see new members posting up things... Carry On

Go to Dollar Tree and look for toys like these ...

The toys look different, but the material is the same on most of them.