Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mylobass

Craft Hair/Fur ?

I tie with EP hair, supreme hair, Steve Farrer and bucktail. I want to try my hand at tying hollow streamers and see craft hair, craft fur mentioned a lot. Is this the same craft hair I see on the shelves at Hobby Lobby and Michaels? What is meant by extra select?

Guest rich mc

some of the craft store hair is shorter andstiffer extra select is longer and in my opinion the best out there rich mc

It's a little different still works on smaller Flys or big ones just depending on how you use it, that being said the select stuff is better.

Extra select is just a commercial designation. I don't remember seeing plain select.

In any case, whatever they call it, Hareline's is the longest I have seen.

If you can check it out the craft store stuff isn't that bad, Darice brand is really good.

It's hard to find but the BEST I ever tyed with was a brand called Doug's Bugs - it was really nice stuff. They sold out to Targus and I have a bunch of the Targus brand.

The Hareline stuff is really good and through some good deals I've got a lot of it. I used to like tying with the Punisher Brand craft fur but I don't know if they switched suppliers but I ended up moving away from it.

When your at flea markets or yard sales if you can find the old Troll dolls yank the hair out it works really good.