Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
swampsinger

triming flies

Do experienced tyers trim flies up after there done? After I'm done tying a fly, I like to give it the once over and if it doesn't look symmetrical or is off balance I can't resist fiddling with the scissors etc. And, oh by the way, whats up with stroking the thing while its in the vise.

I carry an Iris Scissors on my vest for trimming flies on the stream.

In the early days of my fly fishing, I was caught in a thunder storm. After the riding out the downpour, I saw rising trout downstream from an overhanging tree. Size 18 black beetles were washed off the tree. I didn't have any small beetle patterns so I cut the from section off of a black ant pattern and left the back section as the "beetle". The fish took it as a beetle.

2062-1.jpg

I don't trim after tying unless the pattern requires trimming, for example, the post on a parachute.

Stroking the pattern/materials as you tie prevents trapping previously wrapped materials from being trapped by the next wrap.

hell no!

the buggier the better

guys have been stroking things all their lives so why not a fly in a vise :)

I want to trim the buck tail on the right hand side. I suppose these things can happen. I'm probably torquing it to the opposite side a bit. I will like the fly better if I give it a little haircut. oops I mean't top

post-59203-0-34388200-1487461868_thumb.jpg

post-59203-0-51567400-1487461908_thumb.jpg

I want to trim the buck tail on the right hand side. I suppose these things can happen. I'm probably torquing it to the opposite side a bit. I will like the fly better if I give it a little haircut. oops I mean't top

I would razor off that head, remove chartreuse about one third to half, re-tie with 3 soft wrap, pull it straight up and as tight as possible, then tightly wrap it.

It will be fine for fishing if you snip hair carefully but this is a fast way to learn from a mistake that most of us made... still do

checking things as you go will prevent the need to trim. If that was my fly is try to just grab it and twist the buck tail back to where it ought to be. If you didn't use a bunch of super glue in there, you ought to be able to tweak it a bit. But,to your question, no, in instances like that I like to make sure everything is right before going on to the next step. Trimming the buck tail would leave a little spot of stubble that would drive me nuts.

...and you need to learn to reduce the size of your pictures, so we can see them without having to scroll....

...and you need to learn to reduce the size of your pictures, so we can see them without having to scroll....

FYI, no scrolling needed for me. Different devices, I guess...

will the fish care? no. Look at some of the atrocious work that passes for commercial flies or even bucktail dressed trebles on Mepps spinners.

Personally, hell no. I tie for me, and I hold myself to a high standard. Make sure stuff is the right size and the right length and the right place and the right proportions BEFORE moving on.

I tie a lot of bucktails- and I am particular about how I do it. It probably takes me 3 times longer to tie one than it takes you. Yours will catch every bit as many fish as mine, I guarantee it.

Trim it if you want, nobody is going to know, or care, except you. The fish certainly will not care.