Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Scarface Z

Help reconstruct a lucky fly

I bought this Green Drake cripple at least a decade ago from The Feathered Hook in Coburn, PA. And while I've moved to Florida since then, this fly has served me well every year I've made it up north for the Green Drake hatch. Now, it's getting a bit rusty and I want to tie up some more for this spring. I'm not a beginner, really, but I'm rather rusty and was never much good at identifying wet fly feathers. I've almost used up all the feathers that I moved down here with, and I'm not sure what I'd need to order. I appreciate any help and advice. Thanks!

post-2166-0-34421900-1488475515_thumb.jpg

Maybe this will narrow your search. The fly is a Quigley Style Cripple/emerger.

Follow the instructions and use the materials that best match your fly from the choices below.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/quigcrip.htm

http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2010/04/13/quigleys-green-drake-emerger-fly-tying-video/

The technique looks right but there are some evident differences...

--- The wing on your patter is reversed with the clipped end over the eye of the hook.

-- The body material on yours looks like a dubbing or yarn.

-- Yours has sparse legs mounted on the side that look to me very much like the soft base fibers from pheasant rump feathers. And that same material looks tobe the tail on yours.

There also looks to be a thorax and wing case on yours but it is hard to see.

When you get the pattern right please share it with us. Looks like a killer.

Rocco

The technique looks right but there are some evident differences...

--- The wing on your patter is reversed with the clipped end over the eye of the hook.

-- The body material on yours looks like a dubbing or yarn.

-- Yours has sparse legs mounted on the side that look to me very much like the soft base fibers from pheasant rump feathers. And that same material looks tobe the tail on yours.

There also looks to be a thorax and wing case on yours but it is hard to see.

When you get the pattern right please share it with us. Looks like a killer.

Rocco

Thanks! I'm planning on getting most of my tying done this month so hopefully I'll have some successes to share. Time to start planning a materials order...

Welcome to the forum, keep posting, as you can see expert help is generously given... And expert are never harmed by little refresher lessons, either?.. Carry On

Hi Scarface Z,

Over the years I've lost count of the number of people who have come to me asking, "Can you tie me something like this." On the scale of these things your example isn't bad. Often with these things all that is left is a bit of unsecured thread and a bit of tinsel.

Now the question is, "Am I anywhere near?"

post-43582-0-35159000-1488532777_thumb.jpg

The hackle on yours looks like very pail ginger, a colour I don't have, so I have used the lightest hackle I have. Also the yellow died deer hair I have is very very short, making it difficult to get it neat around the head.

The materials list:

Thread: Olive UTC 70

Tail: 2 Partridge after shaft (Filoplume) feather (Most game birds have these, partridge was to hand).

Rib: Hackle stem (or you could use a dark strand of moose mane)

Body: Yellow olive beaver dubbing (use any dull fine dubbing in the right colour).

Thorax cover: Grey Flexi-body.

Thorax: 2 Wound after shaft feathers.

Wings: Grizzle hackle points, tied to either side.

Hackle: Dry fly quality cock hackle, Cream.

Wing: Yellow dyed deer hair. (Dyed over natural, not over white belly hair).

The hook looks like a long shank, I've done mine on a size 12 L/S May Fly hook. I'm not sure of the size of yours. Use whatever you think right.

I hope that helps. Got to go out now, but back tonight and will do an SBS if you like.

Cheers,

C.

Crackaig,

Outstanding. Very cool. Personally, I'd like to see more of this type of thing.

Hi Scarface Z,

Over the years I've lost count of the number of people who have come to me asking, "Can you tie me something like this." On the scale of these things your example isn't bad. Often with these things all that is left is a bit of unsecured thread and a bit of tinsel.

Now the question is, "Am I anywhere near?"

attachicon.gifGreen Drake.jpg

The hackle on yours looks like very pail ginger, a colour I don't have, so I have used the lightest hackle I have. Also the yellow died deer hair I have is very very short, making it difficult to get it neat around the head.

The materials list:

Thread: Olive UTC 70

Tail: 2 Partridge after shaft (Filoplume) feather (Most game birds have these, partridge was to hand).

Rib: Hackle stem (or you could use a dark strand of moose mane)

Body: Yellow olive beaver dubbing (use any dull fine dubbing in the right colour).

Thorax cover: Grey Flexi-body.

Thorax: 2 Wound after shaft feathers.

Wings: Grizzle hackle points, tied to either side.

Hackle: Dry fly quality cock hackle, Cream.

Wing: Yellow dyed deer hair. (Dyed over natural, not over white belly hair).

The hook looks like a long shank, I've done mine on a size 12 L/S May Fly hook. I'm not sure of the size of yours. Use whatever you think right.

I hope that helps. Got to go out now, but back tonight and will do an SBS if you like.

Cheers,

C.

Nice! This gives me a game plan for a trip to my nearest fly shop in Orlando, and for putting together a cart for an online order (I'm overdue anyway).

+1 kudu, Craickaig will deliver a dead-on SBS with precision and detail.

In the mean time, I am going to go old school and hit my personal library books, possibly some journals. I will be happy to post citations to the references if others will benefit. Confessing to selfish motives to tie this pattern better, the Green Drake hatch on the freestone streches of the North Platte River in Colorado and Wyoming is legendary.

Hope I do not annoy other locals by posting on this subject BUT, if you can catch the leading edge of this hatch and somewhat reliably match it, there are huge Browns snarling out of the water to feast on these giant protein bars. They are rarely seen or caught otherwise but seem to lose almost all inhibitions. The guides and outfitters do report it to a somewhat greater extent, and the tarmac of the Saratoga airport is lined with private jets for a time. Other locals are much more secretive.

Here is one cite: "Tying Flies with Jack Dennis and Friends," 91-94, 154 (photo,) Ed, Burke, Joe.1993

The patterns are beautiful, the hookups will test the best tippets and one's fighting skills!

Scarface ... your personal page says you're from NW PA. But you say your closest fly shop is in Orlando?

If you're close to Orlando, let me know, we can hook up and go "hook up" on the St. Johns River sometime.

When I am not travelling, I am out there at least one day every weekend.

did you think about calling that shop and asking them if you could email them a picture of a fly that you bought there years ago to see if maybe they could help you out with specific materials used? just a thought if you're not happy with what you come up with. but i'd say that crackaig did a damn good job of nailing down most if not all the materials