Fly Tying
bshepsoccer

Wing case pops out after securing

Good morning all. I am new to tying (at about my 6th fly). Quick question if I can describe it right. When I am tying a wing case, I pull the feather toward the eye of the hook. I make 2-3 wraps with the thread, then hold the feather straight up and make 2-3 wraps with the thread to secure the wing case. I cut the feather off. Now when I then go to make my whip finish, the feather as pulled out of the thread. If this is understandable, am I pulling the feather too tight, or not tightening down the thread hard enough or combination of both?

Try tighter thread wraps to hold the feather. I usually fold the feathers back and make a few wraps and then pull the feather forward again and make a few more wraps.

Started doing this with flash backs.

Rick

Picture, if you have one. There are a number of reasons why this could happen.

One thing to consider is, what's UNDER the wing case? If the previous wraps, before pulling the wing case material forward, is too loose, you might not be securing the material well.

I always add a few extra wraps when securing material. My flies might be a little bulkier because of it, but they sure do last through many fish bites.

One cure to the materials coming out of the securing wraps: After you make the first three wraps or so, trim the material slightly long, apply a tiny amount of superglue, then wrap a few more time to cover the exposed material and superglue.

Thanks all. I will try tighter wraps and not cutting so close. Also, I never thought of the material below, I might be bringing my dubbing too far forward as well.

Thanks again, can't wait to get home and try again.

behindtheeye_zps8208188f.jpg

keep that area of one eye length for the head of the fly including the tie off of any material

you can also bring the wing case material forward to the eye, tie down with 2-3 wraps of thread and then fold the wing case back over itself, tie down and trim the excess and then complete the head

More thread tension and another 2 or 3 wraps should do it. Experiment with the thread and see what sort of pressure or tension it takes to break it and try to wrap the wing case with 70% of that pressure - don't be afraid to torque down on it good.

If it's particularly slippery material then give your bobbin a good clockwise spin to chord up the thread and give it the ability to bite into the material. Just remember to spin it the other direction to unchord and get it flatter before whip finishing else the thread can tend to break when you pull the whip finish knot tight.