Fly Tying

Hey y'all- I have a question about bobbins! I have a standard bobbin I'm currently using that came with an Orvis fly tying tool set. (Usually retails for about $10 or so.) Recently I have tried to use a thinner thread (uni thread 8/0W) to tie hackle in epoxy ants. The thinner thread keeps ripping (I think my bobbin has too much drag.) Does anyone have a bobbin they recommend to prevent the thin thread from tearing?

Thank you!

If the problem really is "too much drag" you should be able to just stretch the two bars that hold the thread. Just pull them apart.

Sometimes inexpensive bobbins come with burs in the tip. Look and see if that is possibly the problem.

I have a bobbin that I got with my kit too. Every time I used it it would instantly break my 6/0 thread. I think I have a burr in it, the thread seems to pull freely enough. I spent about $15.09 on a ceramic bobbin, not sure what brand it is but it works very well. I use the "bad" one for my lead wire.

With the bobbin in one hand and the thread and a pencil in the other tightly wrap thread around the pencil. If the thread doesn't break, then you don't have any burrs.

Next, wrap tighter and tighter turns until you DO break the thread. This will show you how much pressure you can put on the thread.

One very common reason for thread breakage is the hook point. You might not notice it, but you can clip the point as you're making wraps and cut the thread a strand or two at a time. With smaller threads, one or two cut and the rest are going to break. It is a VERY common mistake for "rookies" and even experienced tiers do it from time to time.

I recently fixed a burr on my bobbin holder by running a solid copper wire through the tube and flossing it back and forth all around the inside of the tube. I believe I read this hint on this site a few months ago. It seems to have fixed my problem.

I used to think it was one particular bobbin I had that broke thin thread but I found in due time, they all will if set too tight. I thought, wait a minute this is not that bobbin I had put aside and I'm breaking thread ! That said, my favorite bobbin is Griffin ceramic, very fine tube, ceramic lined and smooth operating.

As suggested, it may be some issue with the bobbin tube having a burr or groove, but if it is just the tension, one other thing you can try is to take the spool off the bobbin and rub the ends that grab the spool on your nose a couple times. I had an old timer show me this tip at a club meeting, and it works well if you happen to get a sticky spool.

Any ceramic insert bobbin is better then a metal tubed kit bobbin. I only buy 6 dollar Terra bobbins with ceramic inserts. I have about a dozen or 14 of them and have never had a problem with any of them fraying or breaking line. I prefer lots of bobbins to a few expensive name brand bobbins.

I think I might have one Terra ceramic and it works fine. I use my whopping 4 bobbins interchangeably and they all perform fine if set right, even the old copper tube one. I think the nickle tube one is the most intolerant of too much thread tension and my Griffin fine tubed ceramic the most tolerant.. But that is merely casual observation. The key really is to set a some what loose tension and learn the hand finger coordination to control the pressure on thread like Davie McPhail suggested doing. I need to be more diligent about following that advise though. Hey, maybe 2017 is the year to perfect that knack..

Hey y'all- I have a question about bobbins! I have a standard bobbin I'm currently using that came with an Orvis fly tying tool set. (Usually retails for about $10 or so.) Recently I have tried to use a thinner thread (uni thread 8/0W) to tie hackle in epoxy ants. The thinner thread keeps ripping (I think my bobbin has too much drag.) Does anyone have a bobbin they recommend to prevent the thin thread from tearing?

Thank you!

Hannah,

Here are some pictures of the bobbins with which I am most satisfied, of the myriad I own or have tried:

-failure to launch-----

I use the Rites and similar, brake-equipped models to set enough tension on thread, so that bobbin does not drop away when I let go, while using right hand & fingers to apply wrapping tension. The other model is well-balanced, spins great, and is easy change out for spools.

rITE.3.BOBBDSC01926.jpg

mODIFIEDaXEL.rITE.3bOBBDSC01932.jpg

Mod2Rie3BobbDSC01942.jpg

bobbins.brake and leg tension.modelsDSC01948.jpg

Something to note on Davies video. When he bends the wire of the leg he holds the same leg. DON'T bend against the joint at the top of the legs. If you do sooner or later the joint will give, and you'll break your bobbin holder. (Yes this is the voice of experience... not mine but someone who didn't follow this instruction).

Cheers,

C.

Not a big fan of the wire bobbins , it's personal , I've always been comfortable using Rite bobbins , set the tension then get to work , to each his own ,