Fly Tying
Ginormus1

palming your scissors?

Hey guys I have a quick question for you! I am new to tying and still trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I recently saw a video where someone was "palming" there scissors. Not sure if palming is the right term for it but basically they were holding there scissors in there right hand at all times and flipped it up to there thumb to cut as needed. My question is do you use this technique and if so how do you do it and is it really worth it? Which finger do you store the scissors on? Thanks! Noah

Hi Noah - welcome to the world of fly tying where the only hard and fast rule seems to be that there are more than one answer to every question and each tyer does things a little differently than the next person!

To answer your question, I am right handed and I "wear" my scissors like a ring on my ring-finger of my right hand. It takes a little getting used to but once you feel comfortable doing this, you won't be searching for your scissors while you are tying.

I do put my scissors down when I am making a whip finish - I guess this is a habit I have had since the days when my whip finishes were done by hand.

Give the scissors trick a try - it should speed up your tying!

I palm my scissors when snelling hooks for tandem streamers but not when tying flies. I find they hamper the dexterity when doing more detailed tying.

I tried it. I even bought a palm scissor to do it with ...

While I liked the scissors, I didn't like having them in my hand all the time. I've still got a couple of marks on my other hand, where I stabbed myself and it didn't heal well.

My scissors are put down after every use.

I use scissors with large finger holes. The scissors stay on the middle finger and thumb of my right hand. They slide down to the base of those fingers when not being used. I have not found them to hinder my tying in any way.

i tried it also and it just doesnt work for me

i'm not a commercial or speed tyer where time is money and time is wasted finding and picking up scissors

When I'm tying for myself and just relaxed I don't. When I use to tie commercially I did and it was totally natural for me.

Twice while I tying at a conclave I went to shake someone's hand who walked up and I stabbed them....once it was really bad.

They use to be part of my hand....pretty much I don't do it any more

If you do keep them in hand, always put them down before taking a sip of your favourite tying beverage!

Cheers,

C.

Not a good idea for me. I'd either cut the thread or stab myself with them. Of course putting them down on my tying desk isn't such a great idea either. I blaming it on aging eyes. Fortunately, there are usually a couple of others lying around on the desk and I just grab one of them,

This keeps mine close at hand, without the added danger of self laceration and bleeding out.

scissor holder.jpg

Ring finger of my right hand, then when I cut something just put my thumb in the other loop without even thinking about it. I don't know when or how I picked up this habit, but it must have been not too long after I started tying as a kid. I'm not one to sit at my vise and tie a hundred flies, I'm always getting up and moving around and sometimes I'll put my scissor down, go back to my vise without them and feel stupid.

I can't tie with my scissors in my hands. I bought the Dr. Slick bent scissors. The bend in them makes them much easier to pick up off the desk. I am sold on them.

I'll have to give it a shot but I'll be sure to be extra carefully and do my best to not stab myself! If it doesn't work out I think i'll go your route Idaho RC and get the bent ones for easier pick up.

@Mikechell, I really like your way of keeping the scissors close too! Did you just glue any old magnet on the top or do recommend looking for a high strength one on Amazon or such?