Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Cummings

Initial thoughts AA C clamp vise

It can go as far as 4/0 but after that it wants larger hooks. Size 6 is my most common hook size which it can hold. Desk size is common in the United States at 1.5 inch thickness. This vise is 1/16 inch too narrow to accept it. Small mod to the c clamp and it is useable. The jaws are steel yet uneven in grind as well as rough meaning it was a mass product without quality. Once again a mod that I can achieve. In short it will fill the ticket for a budget but my xacto k ice vise seemed superior and the easy out vise was far superior. It suffices the need but don't think it will make you better because it was made for flies in mind.

Did you buy this vise and now are making your initial comments, Tom? Anvil Atlas vise? I don't remember anyone talking about the need to modify those for use.

I don't know about the "common" desk thickness ... I just checked a couple in my house, and none of the tops are thicker than 3/4". Did you grind down part of the clamp to fit your desk?

What are the, "xacto k ice vise" and the "easy out vise"? Neither of those come up on a search.

I am siding with flyty on this ... what's the point. You could've posted this as a reply on the ongoing "which-vise-is-best" thread already going on.

I think I understand....

1. Large hooks stress low quality vise jaws, rendering them unfit for small hooks.

2. The concrete desks available to incarcerated fly tyers in the US are too thick for small c-clamps.

3. The jaws of India AA vises are poorly finished, but this is easily remedied by grinding them on the provided concrete desk.

4. The handle of an x-acto blade holder is equally useful as a fly tying vise. When heading to the yard, replace hook with blade. Stash in sleeping mat.

5. Easy out vise works similar to x-acto vise but is easier to get the hook out. Not to be confused with the Easy Out Martini which is a cocktail of soap, mayonnaise and pruno that encourages the intestine to quickly release keistered contraband.

I have a Superior that I bought probably before it had a name "Superior". It works fine for the hook sizes I have used , being from 24-1/0. The clamp could be wider, now and then I run into a desk or table top that is either too thick or contoured wrong for the vise to fit it. But I could always buy another brand vise's pedestal too. The only reasons I haven't replaced this vise is it hasn't worn out yet and it fits in my tying box well and it really doesn't do anything wrong or adversely effect my tying, LOL..

Incidentally, mine came with three jaw sets, I use the angled jaw the most but if I wanted to really stress something for a bigger hook I can always change out the jaws to the more rugged set. Grand total including tax was something like $35 and I've been tying on it for 25 years or so and they sell for less money these days. And if the cam wears ( I think of Mikes statement that his wore), I have a nice finishing bench grinder in the basement that I sharpen my lathe tools on, I could re profile the cam if need be, or one of the other jaw sets for that matter ( hmmm !)..

There are several different "AA C Clamp Vises". Without a specific dealer and a photo the information is not very helpful.

Terra AA Vise:

6202.jpg

Hareline AA Vise:

aa_vise.jpg

Super Chrome AA Vise:

6168MkaWubL._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg

Orvis AA Vise:

51Q7BbSmHNL._SY450_.jpg

Pro AA vise:

provise.jpg

...and they are all knock-offs of the original DL Thompson AA vise.

I did not mean to say that it was a bad vise but rather needed some refinements to make it a better vise. The one I have came from an Orvise dealer in NJ. The matte black finish hid some of the problems but that has been rectified and it does perform much better. Light sanding with finish graded wet dry sandpaper and polished did Wonders on the clamp head. The jaws now grasp the hook evenly and does release the hook better. Light sanding inside the jaws also removed burns so now the hook doesn't need so much pressure to grasp firmly. Last but not yet done is to remove the jaws then give the barrel of the vise a small amount of rounding off inside at the head to make it close the jaw gap smoothly and with far less effort. The clamp was a simple swap out with a larger one I have. Yes my desk is rather thick. It is in fact a government desk that I got as they are much sturdier than the ones made and sold in most office supply stores. That said I will update with pics later of the one vise mod that I called easy out vise. I use that one on large hooks for bass ties done.

Yes my desk is rather thick. It is in fact a government desk that I got as they are much sturdier than the ones made and sold in most office supply stores. That said I will update with pics later of the one vise mod that I called easy out vise. I use that one on large hooks for bass ties done.

Four years in the military, 25 years in the employ of local government, every desk I ever got was prefab particle board. That desk must have come from Obama's oval office!

Cabala's Super two vise is what I use and very reliable and dependable for me. Cost about $20 bucks.