Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
canyon7

Daves Hopper yarn question

I watched a video on tying this fly, and he uses a yellow yarn. I don't have any yard, but would chinele work, medium in size? Do I need to go to a fly shop and buy the yarn? It's supposed to be a dry fly.

Thanks for any help folks

Brian

I don't know what video you watched, but this one shows it being tied with synthetic fibers.

The Dave’s Hopper I used to tie and fish with used Polypropylene Yarn. At fly shops it’s usually called Poly Yarn. It’ floats. Chenille not so much.

As Floyd said Dave's hopper uses polypropylene yarn because it floats.You can also get this yarn from Bonnie Craft cord.Just cut a section and comb it out to untangle it.You can find it in several colors at Hobby Lobby or craft stores.

Chenille could work but it absorbs water so the fly may not float as well.You can also substitute another color poly yarn if you have any on hand.

wmu-662467-bonnie-macrame-craft-cord-6mm

thanks guys, you've been a lot of help. You guys are the best. Sure appreciate the help and information.

I think a card of poly yarn costs maybe $3 at most. The advantage to me in buying that from the fly shop is it's already straight and ready to tie . And I don't use enough to go buy a whole skein of the stuff. The card will last me years.

I think a card of poly yarn costs maybe $3 at most. The advantage to me in buying that from the fly shop is it's already straight and ready to tie . And I don't use enough to go buy a whole skein of the stuff. The card will last me years.

I'm with Kentuckysteve. Bonnie's Craft cord is cheap at Walmart. Order it online for $8.10 with free pickup at your local Walmart. Plus yellow is a popular color for polypro strike indicators. Order it here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pepperell-Braiding-Vibrant-Yellow-Macrame-Braid-Craft-Cord/24622117

$(KGrHqYOKo0FH,tDVjshBR7vdyCkYQ~~60_58.J

maxresdefault.jpg

100 yards ? It would be incredibly high volume if I used 4 ft in my time remaining on this planet. Although I guess it would be good for dry fly posts too, so make that 8 ft.

One very nice gentleman sent me a skein of this stuff, and I'd like to thank him for it. It was here waiting when I got here.

thank you so very much sir.

That yellow is discontinued per the company website. If you see it buy it. They replaced the yellow with chartreuse, not sure if that's a good thing or not.