Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SilverCreek

Making Sampling Nets to collect aquatic and flying insects

I was having a PM with a member and and I sent instructions I had written for making a sampling nets. If you are interested, I use two different sampling nets.

I explain how on to make a collapsing sampling net in this Wisconsin TU newspaper article. The collapsing handle is a magnet from Harbor Freight. The article is on pg 8. There is also a second article I wrote on how to make a New Zealand strike indicator.

http://wicouncil.tu.org/sites/default/files/2017%20January.pdf

35716182575_abe06dee0f_z.jpg

35328985270_4b82141756_z.jpg

I also referenced the following posts I made on the fly fishing forum. If cross posts to another site are not allowed, please remove.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/entomology/366591-need-stream-guide-identify-bugs-2.html#post791451

Here's how to use a paint strainer to sample the drift for hatching insects. I carry this in my vest also.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/364829-crushed-henrys-fork-2.html#post768816

For the strike indicator, you can use a knit picker for the tool from the sewing department. Two mm tubing called Pony Bead can be found in the beading aisle. Both can be found at Hobby Lobby. Two dollars for 5 yds of tubing.

bioquip.com has everything anyone could ever want for entomological study, as well as materials to make your own equipment. Their prices seem a bit high but there is really no comparison shopping to do... it's a niche market. I have not purchased anything from them in several years, but the quality of their gear was always great.

In my experience, collecting insects with a tiny little net is aggravating as hell.

bioquip.com has everything anyone could ever want for entomological study, as well as materials to make your own equipment. Their prices seem a bit high but there is really no comparison shopping to do... it's a niche market. I have not purchased anything from them in several years, but the quality of their gear was always great.

In my experience, collecting insects with a tiny little net is aggravating as hell.

Just about every University Biology department uses these seines. They are well worth the price and if you take care of them they will last a lifetime. We used several different sizes and depending on what water your sampling will determine the size you need. If your wading in anything above your ankles go with the two pole system. Worked great for macroinvertebrates.