Fly Tying
Tom Cummings

Finished tying tool collection

Took a few trips to get all my tools at a high grade but now I'm satisfied. Old tools worked fine and tying a fly is not any different but I like to complete a set to match and not mix match my tools.

post-61305-0-52582300-1499372566_thumb.jpg

very nice selection! a thing I have learned is: just when you think you are "finished", you will find something you absolutely must have...

I would add a hair evener to that set.

I would add a hair evener to that set.

"Evener"? ... Do you mean a hair stacker, or are you referencing some other tool?

I'd also be looking to buy or make a Velcro dubbing brush/pick.

I have both the stacker and Velcro dubbing brush but didn't get them in the picture as both are home made and not the commercial made. I use Orvise tools and renzeti vise.

They don't "match" the design ... got it.

I've never had that gene. I am as eclectic as one can get.

Congratulations, a very nice set. Me, I've only been tying for 50+ years, and I'm not even close to having a complete set of tools... and probably never will be.

I'm kinda anal when it comes down to quality and like for tools to match. There will always be some sort of home made in the mix as sometimes that works better given a situation. I also try for perfection in my ties but as of late they are what I call my drunken flies tied at the tavern while I nurse a beer or three lol. Still catches me trout at the local lake so must not be too drunken.

I have 2 matching scissors, 2 matching whip finish tools, and 2 of my bobbins match my vise, but that it. I have dozens of mismatched and homemade tools. I don't worry about it. Yes Mike hair stacker = hair evener, auto correct is always correcting the stacker word. My stacker is 35 to 40 years old, and I don't even remember who made it. My flies often look like the ones the drunk guide spilled on the floor, but they keep on catching fish, so all is well. I trim my beard better than I trim my flies.

I made my Velcro brush by gluing some Velcro hook strip to some of my wing burning tweezers.

post-12074-0-14834900-1499461759_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-51135600-1499461789_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-42300800-1499461878_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-51334900-1499461948_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-75907900-1499462072_thumb.jpg

What do you use hair thinning sissors for? You have an orvis general purpose but doesn't appear to be a premium. I have 2 1 is a premium. Got it in the 3 set. Best buy on them but use the utility more.

I like & love high-quality tools and equipment....but no one manufacter makes the best tool for every job.

Plus my IQ is higher than my bank account,so I watch that too. My weakness is....

Hello my name is Mike and I have a Scissor fetish/addiction

I have an entire set of micro surgical soligen but they don't compare in precision and abilities. Not to push who's who in scissors but most surgical low cost is from Pakistan. Orvis is as well.

LOL this is another of those threads that show the reason most people can't save money tying flies.

I have one good pair of scissors ... and I got those in a $25.00 grab bag.

I have one hackle holder (not really "pliers")

I have two actual bodkins (both acquired in grab bags) and three home made bodkins that will stand on their own, point up. I use those to hold flies by the while they "dry".

I have three bobbin holders that have taken me decades to "accumulate".

I have two dubbing loop spinners ( ... you guessed it, grab bag for one)

I have two stackers ... guess where one of them came from ...

That's about it.

It is or can quickly become expensive just tools alone. Materials I learned just get the higher quality and learn with that. Even a fail tie will catch a fish and after a few fails proficiency will kick in and quality will increase.