Fly Tying
Tom Cummings

Going to spend 500.00 on a pole. Orvis or llbean brand. Opinions pls

Money isn't important 8 6 or 9 0 5 at 4 pc is. Opinions pls.

I have had real issues with Orvis and the policies. I would not go with them.

Kevin

$500 buys you a rod -- a pole costs a lot less.

Steve can get one for that price made to your specs, personalized, and not thrown together in Asia with second line hardware, cork etc.

If bent on a brand name rod at that price you also can get top of the line products from several makers -- Reddington, LaCrosse. and TFO, for example --- that are well made of quality materials and have reliable warranties to boot. All are actually made abroad. But then so are ORVIS's and BB's.

Rocco

I only build my own rods anymore but between those two brands I'd personally look to a Bean rod if I had to buy a commercially built rod...

You have plenty of options for a sub $500 fly rod. If you have a fly shop nearby (or even a box store like Bass Pro or Cabelas) see if they will let you take one or more of their offerings outside to test the rod out. Most (graphite) fly rods are fast and very fast action these days - there are some that are a little slower (as well as fiberglass). You might be surprised what you like vs the price point.

Guest rich mc

my 7wt ll bean will outcast my 8wt tfo. my favorite rod [ llbean ] broke the tip this spring and for 20 bucks i had a new one in a week. just purchased another ll bean rod 3weeks ago. rich

+1 on supporting Steve. His work is UTTERLY FANTASTIC! For less than 500 he can hook you up with everything you'd want and more. It's worth it.

I have 'll bean and orvis stores about 15 miles away from me and in that price range they issue a 20 yr warranty. Also the ones I have been contemplating is in fact made in the USA.

I am told things are different your side of the big pond, but I have consistently had the worst customer service I've ever known from Orvis UK. I would now whip eyes to a branch cut from a tree, before giving Orvis UK any money.

• 19 months to replace waders, that leaked within weeks (poor design).
  • Receipt for rod sent to new address... Rod sent back to old address. First tried to blame me, then the carrier. Would take no responsibility for their mistake.
  • £120 vest ordered.. They sent a woman's not a man's. Missing the tab in the heamostat pocket. Would neither replace, nor provide "anti gravity" heamostats.that would stay in the pocket. I know it is only a small detail, but when you pay top price, you expect them to get it right.

I was a fan of Orvis tackle, It is generally ok. There customer service though,.. Well I will not lower myself to the four letter words needed to accurately describe it Suffice to say, I will not go near it now. ABO - Anyone but Orvis.

Cheers,

C.

Seems to me if money is no object there shouldn't be a price point set. Anyway, I never set an amount that I want to spend on a rod or anything else. I go look at at rods and buy the one I like. I recently purchased my first TFO rod and I like it a lot. I also like the price. But then again I have never bought a rod that I didn't like. Enjoy the search.

If you fish open water then go with the 9'. Some 5 weights are almost 6 weights. LLBean is not really a big player in fly rods. Don't limit your choices to a 15 minutes drive. Read the 5-weight shootout from this year and prior years to get an idea of what criteria is used in comparing rods. Asking a bunch of guys whether you should buy an llbean or an Orvis rod is like asking us whether you should eat at McDonalds or Wendys. Like Poopdeck, I never bought an off-the-shelf, a custom or assembled a rod I didn't like.

tight lines and casting lessons are highly encouraged