Fly Tying
pdk9

New to tying and here

I am looking forward to hopefully learning more about tying flies from this forum. I spent 20 years in a high stress work environment and was forced to retire. My doctor strongly suggested fly fishing and tying as a way to "level" things out in life. Thanks in advance for any help or motivation.

Welcome. Personally, I am looking forward to one day retiring so I can spend more time tying and fishing. Even if I never retire, my goal is to spend more time doing something I enjoy. Your doctor is a wise man. Couldn't have picked a better hobby for you. The forum can be lots of help. Also, YouTube has lots and lots of tying videos. I find watching videos or someone else tie is a great want to learn how to tie. One of my favorite tyers on YouTube is Davie McPail whose philosophy is "make it your own" which I take to mean: Don't worry if your fly doesn't look exactly like someone else's. It will still catch fish. There is a great deal of satisfaction catching a fish on a fly you tied yourself. It gets even better when your friends catch fish on your flies. Another suggestion is to join a local fly fishing club. Members love to teach others the arts of casting and tying. One other thing, don't think you need to spend a great deal of money on tools, materials and gear. Forum members may be able to guide you where to get the most bang for your buck, especially when starting out.

Review the old posts when you get time pdk9. A wealth of info can be found there and you'll learn quickly that many talented tyers have contributed to this site. If you don't see it just ask.

Fly tying and fly fishing are great ways to reduce stress. There is a wealth of information here for both. If you can find a buddy or two that is into the fly scene, you can pick up tips and tricks just tying and fishing with other people! Welcome and best of luck.

Welcome to the world of fly tying and fishing, the best way to relax and spend time doing something enjoyable. I just have to agree with what's already been stated, no question is stupid, and there aren't many questions about tying that aren't answered somewhere on this forum, from way back to today's newest entries. Hope being here brings you as much joy and knowledge as it has for me.

Blane

Fly fishing and tying can be a great stress reliever. Couldn't agree with your doctor more.

Was watching a fishing show a number of years ago and Bobby Knight was the guest. He said, If you want to teach your son a lifetime of enjoyment teach him to fly fish. If you want to teach him a lifetime of frustration teach him to play golf.

Good luck. Once I picked up a fly rod it became too hard to touch a "fishing pole" again. After tying flies it became hard to touch "bait" again as well.

Haven't touched my pro bass baitcaster nor bought live bait since. Shane as it cast farther than most open faced but I catch more and when it's pouring rain I tie. It's meditative and yet addictive if it gets u.

I really enjoy fly tying. It kind of found me. There are many forums and sites. I find this to be the best forum and I like In The Riffle for instructions. Not that I follow step by step. Its the technique and learning how to tie.

Hey pdk, As you start to tie, you might consider trying out some of the swaps here on the forum . I find it a great way to challenge my skills and motivate me to try new styles.