Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
swampsinger

casting problem

When I shoot line quite often the line between the first guide and the reel wants to loop over the rod butt and reel. I was living with it till I damaged a good line by trying to strip line off when the line was looped around the reel. I'm wondering what causes this.

When I shoot line quite often the line between the first guide and the reel wants to loop over the rod butt and reel. I was living with it till I damaged a good line by trying to strip line off when the line was looped around the reel. I'm wondering what causes this.

There are 2 causes.

The first is releasing the shoot too soon .

The second is keeping the line hand too close to the reel and rod when you shoot. Also don't let go of the line and drop it when you shoot but keep it under control by forming an "O" ring with the index and finger and thumb of the line hand and shooting the "O".

http://www.garyborger.com/2011/04/06/o-ring-line-control/

Note at 1:30 in the video below, Joan Wulff says the off hand should be kept away from the rod. At 2:25 she demonstrates what happens when you release the line too early. It wraps around the rod and reel.

Pete Kutzer of Orvis has a similar demo at the Orvis FF Learning Center. Note that at the start of the shoot, his off hand is away from the rod and the reel and only at the end of the shoot does he bring the line hand closer and in line with the stripping guide.

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons/chapter-one-the-basics-of-fly-fishing/239-shooting-and-handling-line

What about a double haul and shooting line? Watch the video below beginning at about 5:18. Pet Kutzer demonstrates the haul, line shoot, and under the finger fly line transfer so he is ready to fish. Note that at the beginning of the line shoot, his shooting hand is behind the reel and away from the rod, to keep the shooting line from being entangled with the rod or the reel. Then Pete brings the line hand closer to the rod/reel and in line with the stripper guide.

Great explanations. I have had the same problem. Especially with my 8wt.

Maybe it's just a natural feeling when shooting line... to bring the free hand closer to the rod. It also feels like your reducing the friction on your skin, allowing the line to fly out faster. I kept having the same issues until I came across some of these same videos a little while back, and I noticed my mistake.

Less wrap ups now.