Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

Fly Tyer

I see in the latest issue of Fly Tyer magazine that there is a beginners section. If you are into tying flies, to me this is the magazine. This issue talks about making a whip finnish. There are several methods discussed. When I whip finnish I use a matarelli whip finnish tool and start the knot right at the base of the last material attached and make 5 wraps toward the eye of the hook. I find this provides a secure smooth knot.

I make my whip finishing turns going away from the eye of the hook. This keeps any thread taper build up away from the hook eye, which can make a difference with smaller flies.

Me too dble haul, although I usually use my hands and try not to use the tools too often. Wickedcarpenter can attest that my whip finish tool is in pretty rough shape.

john

I've been practicing using my hands, but I tend to rely on the tool.

I must practice more in order to get schooled in the ways of the hand whip finish. :)

When I have attached the last material at the head of the fly, what ever it is I usually secure it with a few firm wraps of thread. I then spiral wrap toward the eye of the hook covering all the tag ends of the materials. Sometimes I remove these wraps as the thread will cut the tag ends again, then re spiral forward. Once the thread is at the eye of the hook or covering all the tag ends, I will wrap rearward with firm back to back wraps to where the last material was secured. Then I will make my whip finnish toward the eye of the hook usually 5 times. If I want to add an eye to the head of the fly, weather it is painted or stuck on, I will bulid up the head and whip finnish in the middle of these built up wraps. Unless I make a mistake and then out comes the crazy glue