Fly Tying
TerryLee

My First Deer Hair Bug

This was my first attempt at spinning/flaring whatever it is you do to deer hair to make a bass bug with it. Aside from not being a good barber, what do you think? Can you even form an opinion from my bad pictures?

A friend told me not to even try because I haven't been tying very long, but I did anyway. He also said I wouldn't be able to do it without Kevlar thread, but I used 6/0 flat waxed nylon.

Thanks in advance,

TL

post-3600-1132466623_thumb.jpg

post-3600-1132466639_thumb.jpg

I'd say it looks pretty darn good. The only thing that I see that I would change is the trimming. You should get some double edge razor blades and just touch it up a bit. It will make it look much nicer than scissors.

A drop of crazy glue on your thread head and alowing it to run back into the deer hair will keep the hair back from the eye of the hook. Its amazing what that glue can do. Great colours and I like the profile of the fly. Pulled under it would look good as well. I guess you can tell your freind he was wrong. I am not fusy as what I use for thread for spinning hair, and do use 8/0 uni and 6/0 flymaster. it does snap at times but here is another crazy glue trick. If the thread snaps tilt the hook and put a small drop of glue on the shank it will run down the shank and glue everything solid. you can then reatach the thread and continue what you were doing with out worries of the broken thread.

It looks good for a first attempt. Im surprised you were able to spin it using 6/0 thread. I use gel spun polyester (GSP) for my deerhair work(bassbugs and such, muddler heads i use 3/0), its practly unbreakable, and i feel the slickness of it makes it easier to spin /stack the hair too. Using a stronger thread will allow you to pack the hair a lot denser on the hook, making the trimming easier.

For triming the hair i use double edged blades, just be careful not to dye the hair with your blood. :blink:

Here is a link to a tutiorial on spinning hair with a few good pointers making it easier

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/de...cfm?parentID=38

Looks good! Bass bugs take practice.

I also suggest you purchase some different thread. GSP is incredible, but you can also use Kevlar or even 3/0 thread in a pinch. Although you can spin a bug with 6/0 or 8/0 thread, it's not suggested. Having the right tools to do the job is essential to getting good at spinning and especially stacking deer hair.

I also suggest you rent/purchase Chris Helm's videos. There is nobody better you will learn a ton.

Good Luck,

Rusty

Looks like a fishable fly to me Terry. A lot better than my first bass fly thats for sure. 6/0 works just fine as long as you dont knick it on the hook point. Thats all I use on deer hair and it works good for me.

Hi Terry,

You fly looks good. The hair cut (whether you use scissors or razor blade) will come with pratice. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com