Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tidewaterfly

Materials for "Mop" flies?

OK, with the popularity of these dang Mop Flies, something I've resisted tying up to now, what are the best sources for the materials & how much is being paid? I've been looking around & seems there's a wide range of possible products & price ranges & some are quite costly. Best I've found so far has been around $8 for pads approximately 15" X 4". I'm looking for several colors too! My search has been for "microfiber mop chenille pads". This is primarily a question for folks in the USA, but I might entertain the thought of buying import items outside the US. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! Jim

Jim, I've found some in the local $1 store. I've also hit Walmart, Target, Pep Boys(local auto store). So far they're ranged from $1 up to $7. I've found them in "bass" size, 1 1/2 to 2 inches long, "Standard" size 1 inch long, "Stubbies" which are the same thickness as the first two but only a 1/2 inch long and minis 1/2 inch long an about 2 mm in diameter. After I got turned on to them, I looked around the house and found two dust brushes made of the same material. Colors for the larger sizes so far, Fluorescent orange, chartreuse, yellow, gray. The dust brushes were tan and maroon. The "Stubbies" were white. The mini mops were gray and off white. The mop material takes permanent marker and fabric pens, so I've been able to add black, purple, pink, green, olive and brown to my colors. This trout took a fluorescent orange "standard" size one.

post-309-0-23552300-1496520820_thumb.jpg

Thanks Philly! We have a Walmart here, and some dollar stores so I'll check them out. There's a couple of auto parts stores here too. I'm familiar with Pep Boys, but not sure if there are any nearby. I wasn't aware there's such a variance in the strand sizes, so that should be interesting. I was very slow to get on the Green Weenie band wagon, but eventually did & they were a productive fly. I can see the potential for these mop flies here for panfish, and probably some bass too. I found some replacement mop head kits online for a mop brand, that was in the $45 to $65 range, and couldn't see many fly tyers putting out that kind of cash for something that would be cut up. I also spotted a chew toy my brother in law had bought for his dog that had the same type of chenille strands. He wouldn't spend much on such a dog toy. I know most of us tyers are cheapskates thrifty too when it comes to scavenging materials! laugh.png

I appreciate the info & will see what I can find locally! smile.png

BTW, that's a beautiful Brown! wub.png

Guest rich mc

beside what has been mentioned. wallmart had noodle bath matts which had a shiney material alternated with a solid. also saw some at bed bath and beyond they were 18 x 24 for 14.99 rich mc

Well, "mop fly" is a Johnny-come-lately name that caught the popular imagination. I've been tying the "Green Whopper" for 5 or 6 years, which is just a green noodle on a size 10 or 12 hook (can have a bead head). Go to the dollar store, and look through the cleaning supplies. You'll find several items that use microfiber chenille. I started with a scrubbing pad for $1. The same stuff, though, is found in bath mats, toilet seat covers, dust mops, car washing mitts, etc., etc. There's no need to pay more than a dollar or two, though. Just keep your eyes open and you'll find all the colors you could want.

Guest rich mc

mainstays was the company name for the rugs .only mop fibers with a shine to it rich

I just take some thick fuzzy chenille I have and furl it for a tail. You can control length and diameter and color. Works fine and looks the same to me.

Dollar store sells car wash mittens for a buck. Go figure. I found them in chartreuse and yellow at the dollar store in the car care section. It's a very small section.

Dollar store sells car wash mittens for a buck. Go figure. I found them in chartreuse and yellow at the dollar store in the car care section. It's a very small section.

Same experience I have had. My Dollar Tree has chartreuse and blue car wash mittens for $1 each.