Fly Tying
samsonboi

Moffat lamp for fly tying

I got an unmarked lamp with an extremely bendy neck and a magnifier free from a non-fishing friend, turns out it's a very expensive light from looking up the patent #. It's a Moffatt lamp- easy to pop on and off a mount and move it around to other mounts- originally meant for fly tying and auto/machine shops. It didn't come with a mount, so I got burned a bit for that- a four-dollar mount, great! Except, shipping was 13 bucks 'cause the only company I know of that sells these only ships UPS. However, 17 bucks isn't much for the use of an 80-dollar lamp. I put an LED bulb in it and it's bright as the sun, with much less heat than the recommended 75-watt bulb, or even a 25 watt bulb, for that matter. What do you use as a fly-tying lamp?

This is a stock photo of a very similar one, almost identical but with a couple differences. Mine's not quite as nice as this, this being a newer model. The magnifier is an optional (not aftermarket )add-on.

Rectangular-Magnifier-on-light.jpg

Its a nice looking lamp and magnifier but its expensive. I personally would like something similar with a daylight balanced led for under $50

Looks like it uses the same mounting base as the Elephant brand magnifier i bought from Dan Baileys fly shop 25 years ago. I just broke it out again recently as my eyes are not what they used to be.

Did you get a good deal on the light? I use old architects lights i paid 5$ at a yard sale. Got my led bulb at home depot