Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lucian.Vasies

midge larva - wich is your favorite fly?

Hi guys,

Here is my version of larva midge. It works great for me and is tied with black thread and red catgut. I make it simple as possible on small and very small hooks. The is deadly for grayling and trout when I used it in deep pools with sediments . I never fished on lakes and I do not know how works but I presume that can catch a few fish...

midge-2-980x654.jpg

midge-3.jpg

midge.jpg

Do you have other versions that work for you? Can you share them?

Thanks!

I don't tie anything that small. If I did, I'd have a day full of 2 inch Bluegill.

I like that, just wouldn't use it.

That cat gut definitely works for that glow.

On lakes I use an orange beading elastic stretched as tight as I can over olive thread.

I tie most all of my midges with just thread and wire, no weight, but some on the leader at times. The little orange one works very well in winter. But like Mike, I am now in Florida, and I don't do much midge fishing.

post-12074-0-40471900-1545593447_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-65653100-1545593479_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-45206000-1545593494_thumb.jpg

Even though midges are prevalent in the local streams I fish, I really don't use midge larva. These streams also have sunfish and like Mike I don't enjoy catching two inch sunfish. The only two size 32's I ever tied for fishing were taken by two inch sunfish. It's a nice pattern and I'm probably going to tie up a few similar onesfor the fly boxes I'm making up for my niece and her husband to use next spring once they're settled in Vermont. One thing they'd be useful for around here would be ice fishing. Not sure we'll get any fishable ice this winter, but tied in sizes 14 to 18 they should work on pan fish.

Nice color combo, using different colors for the under body and over body gives it that translucent shuck look that seems to fool the picky ones. I use something similar on the lakes in the Southern Rockies and it is probably my most consistent producer for small and medium size fish in the colder months. Search Youtube for "Midge Fly Emerging music by Lokitas," for footage of a midge emerging underwater. I thought it was pretty cool.