Fly Tying
appalachian angler (tn.)

Sons and Daughters in the Armed Forces

My only son is off the Great Lakes Naval Training center tomarro, following in the footsteps of his old man. I can't help but feel choked up with pride mixed with a nervous sort of anticipation for him (as if I were going) like I felt nearly 20 years ago. I am sure many of you have sons and daughters in one branch or another of the military. Please chime in and show your pride and admiration for their efforts. thumbup.gif

Maybe you don't have a son, daughter, or other family member in the service, and you may not even agree with this war or our need to be over there; but given the opportunity, please take a moment to thank a soldier or sailor for representing his/her country to further insure the freedoms that we hold dear here at home!

Thanks,

A.A.

I'm thankful for all those who volunteer soldiers, fireman, police officers and others who until you really need them you never seem to understand the value of.

We wish your son well during his service.

Mcfly n family.

Dont have any family members in the service but do have a few friends that served.

My respect to your son A.A his serving to protect this great country is somthing you should be very proud of as a father thumbup.gif

Good luck to your son and God Bless all who serve. I spent a considerable amount of my life serving in the Royal Navy. I hope he enjoys it as much as I did.

Sounds like you've got a great son and my thoughts are with him! my brother-in-law was in Iraq and just completed his tour of duty in the Army and moved back here to Ohio about 2 months ago. My wife's cousin is also in the service(Air Force) and is currently stationed somewhere in the middle east but I'm not positive where, I think Afghanistan. And he VOLUNTEERED to go there! No thanks!! I admire the he** out of the guys doing this.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND ALL THOSE WHO SERVE AND SERVED IN OUR ARMED FORCES!!! thumbsup.gif

god bless you and your son, and godspeed to him. may his aim be good and his movement swift. be careful over there, keep your head down. we all thank you and admire you for your service for all of us.

steve

I hope a majority of our 1400-plus members weigh in on this subject.

My contribution, on behalf of one of our "associate" members stationed in Iraq:

Lieutenant Andrew Forney, United States Army. Currently on patrol somewhere in Baghdad.

God Bless and keep you and your troops from harm. Godspeed your return to your loved ones here at home, safe and sound.

Your fishing buddy misses you.

Thanks DFix.

My oldest son (LT Andy Forney) is patrolling a sector in Baghdad tonight, a company XO (executive officer), 1/8 Cav, 1 Cavalry Division. He has been in Iraq for 7 months now, and is determined to bring all his men back home next March. I am very proud of him and wish like hell he was sharing a piece of home water with this old colonel right about now. I am tying him some "sand flies" for Christmas.

God bless them all; sons, daughters, moms, dads, fly anglers, and worm dunkers.

Flytyers, I would like to share one more soldier’s name, LT Michael Adams. Unfortunately, Mike was killed in Iraq on 16 March 2004 when his tank was hit by a car. He was providing convoy security for a road march back to the final assembly area; after almost a year in Iraq, his unit was relieved in sector and was coming home.

Mike was a cadet at the US Military Academy when I first met him in August 2000, he was the CIC (cadet-in-charge) of the West Point Flyfishing Club and I was one of the ORs (officer representatives - faculty sponsors). Mike was an avid flyfisher when he came to the Academy, having learned the craft from his Dad, and led the club for 2 years until he graduated and got his commission in 2002. He was no stranger at our dinner table and was a friend of the family. Mike was one of the most energetic and genuine people I have ever met, a fine angler, a good sportsman, and pretty handy with the bobbin and vise. I recall a hearty appetite, a firm handshake, and a handsome smile.

Mike Adams has made his last cast and he is resting the big pool now.

Well, my kids are only 7 and 10, so not quite old enough to go yet. But I have a couple cousins, and a TON of friends over there (I have quite a few friends who are with the 75th here in WA and the stryker units). Plus my best friend/hunting/fishing buddy is over there as well (recently posted a pic he sent me near his outpost). So, I'm all for the troops. In fact, I send gift packs over periodically, usually with 10-20 of my patriotic flypins in them for the troops. Think to date, I've sent almost 200 or so of my pins to the troops (all at my cost). Just want them to know there are those of us who support them 100%.

IMHO Joining the service is one of the most honorable and noble thing a young or woman can do in there life.

OSD.

Wyknot ...first off my respect to LT Micheal Adams for making the ultimate sacrifice for our country, but a question. How did a car hitting his tank kill him? was this a car bomb incident or something such as that?