Fly Tying
fshng84

Broiled Trout Recipe

Ive been preparing mine whole gutted on the grill with herbs and citrus inside and tied up with butchers twine. Serve with red potatoes cooked in bacon, fresh lemon, and a kinda bitter herby creme sauce. Its to die for.

I just finished a large breakfast souffle but looking at your picture I just drooled on the keyboard. Back in the days when I believed in "selective harvest", which to me meant if it selected my bait it was harvested, we had a lot of ways to cook fish of all sizes. One of our favorites was for good sized steelhead or browns out of Lake Superior . I would carefully prepare fish by removing head, all fins, slit down back, and turn it over to my wife. She would stuff it with the same sage stuffing she used on Thanksgiving turkey but in the fish. Lay a strip of bacon in the back slit, wrap in aluminum foil and bake. I never had a fish good enough to die for but it sure was something to live for.

When we lived up north in MN and had a never ending supply of fish of all kinds I was like Bubba in Forrest Gump in how many ways we prepared and deep fried, fondued, microwaved, grilled, baked, smoked and pickled fish. Any recipe but Lutefisk.

Patiently waiting for the fiddleheads to come up then it will be fiddleheads and trout both finished in hot cast iron with herbs, butter and a slash of sherry. Come on spring !

fiddleheads not poisonous, grow in my back yard. Must be cooked I have been told

Sorry Mike,

I stand corrected! Worldwide only a few species of fiddleheads are eaten. Which species I have no idea. The ones in my garden are safe or I would have been tits up long time ago. Please accept this clarification

I only eat the ostrich fern that I am familiar with. It has the brown covering just remember the "brown paper bag" wrapper. Usually found along running water brooks, rivers a natural with brookies. I know other people eat other types of fiddlehead ferns, I am not a expert, similar with mushrooms only stick with what I am 100% about. Pick, clean (wash to remove wrapper) I par boil a couple of minutes (lightly salted water) then into the skillet to saute with a little butter and finish with sherry. A earthy delight goes well with mushrooms, onions, or asparagus tips if you don't have many fiddleheads. Served with trout, it was a yearly ritual, streamside with a few of the old timers that I miss fishing with. Fiddlehead locations are well guarded secret many keep to themselves so the ferns do not get over harvested and kill of next years ferns.

You are correct, in your first post, Meeshka. There are no poisonous ferns ... but there are less edible ones. And you're also correct that they MUST be cooked, as raw ones will make a person nauseous. I just had to go looking it up online.

Main reason for my query ... are the ferns that grow down here in warm climates edible? Turns out, they are.

However, because of the almost 365 growing season, there's no particular season for picking them. And that also makes them less tasty. It's mostly the nutrients needed to spur the initial growth spurt that gives them flavor. Local ferns are fed by the existing fronds, so no need to store nutrients. At least, that's what I "gathered" from my research.