Fly Tying

EZ Cast Baitfish

ltFKAEW.jpg

Finished Length: 3-1/2"

Hook: 1/0 Owner Mosquito 5377-111 light wire (For heavier wire use SSW 5180-111)

Thread: White Veevus 150D or flat waxed nylon

Hook Flash: FTD Pearl Web or Pearl Flashabou, Pearl Tinsel

Body Flash: FTD Pearl Web hot white 2 strands 7" long

Belly: FTD Crystal Web UVX hot white (very slick fibers that do not tangle)

(FTD Fly Tyers Dungeon)

Wing: Chartreuse Bucktail

Over Wing: Peacock Herl

Eyes: 7MM 3D

UV Resin: Solarez Thin Hard

1. Note: Tie all materials to the top of the hook except for the belly materials.

All measurements are from behind the hook eye.

All ties are reverse ties except BT.

Tie with minimal amount of thread wraps to keep the profile compact.

2. Begin by wrapping flash to the hook.

Wrap flash front to back then back to front, then whip finish and remove thread.

Coat with Solarez, spin to level then torch.

3. Tie 7" body flash approx at the mid point 1/4" from the hook eye then half hitch.

4. Belly: Take a 3/32" dia. bundle of crystal web.

Prepare a finished length that is 4-1/4" long and tapered at both ends.

Tie in (tie in point is 1/4" from hook eye) to extend 3-1/2" from the hook eye and tied on top of the hook.

Fold remaining 1" of material back and tie to the bottom of the hook then 1/2 hitch.

5. Take a 3/32" dia. bundle of BT and tie in front of where you tied in the crystal web.

The BT should be a similar length as the crystal web.

6. Head/Belly: Take a 3/32" dia. bundle of crystal web.

Prepare a finished length that is 1-5/8" long and tapered at both ends.

Tie in close to the hook eye and allow to extend as long as the hook.

Then fold over shorter section and tie down and 1/2 hitch.

7. Take 4 strands of peacock herl and tie in forward then fold them back to create a colored head.

Whip finish and color white thread at top of forehead then apply CA or head cement to secure threads.

8. Prepare the eyes by pressing them against the handle of an artists paint brush to form a radius.

Attach the eyes with CA gel and use UV resin to fill in between the eyes on top, bottom and behind the hook eye.

I usually do this a little at a time and then torch, do a little more then torch and so on.

Lastly to add strength to the eyes put a very thin coating of UV resin over eyes and extend it to the top and bottom of the head as before. When everything has a thin coating torch it so that a continuous layer is formed.

9. lastly, It is not necessary to clean the surface of the UV resin with alcohol as others say.

Just put your creation in the sun and allow the sun to shine on all sides by repositioning it.

The sun can do what the torch can not as the result is a non sticky very hard finish.

Thanks for the pattern. It'll be very effective fishing just about anywhere I believe. As for me I'm going to do a bit of changup and see how it works on the Puget Sound.

Regards,

Lee

You know fshng2, albies will be here in just a few weeks, I think your fly is perfect for this and I will add it to my arsenal, thanks and great job..

Thanks guys. Should be easy to cast as this one weighs next to nothing at .6 grams.

LeeG and CG59 tie some up, post em and good luck fishing.

CG59 I saw a picture today of an albie caught and filmed on the 11th here in Delaware where I fish.

Mike I haven't had the chance to fish it, but I will soon.