Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AlexC

Which species of minnow is this?

I'm thinking a Black-nosed Dace, about half grown. Looks a little faded (dead?) but has a fairly distinct black lateral stripe.

Thanks guys, I was thinking BND too, but wasn't sure. I usually just call it something I imitate with a clouser minnow :lol:

I'm not so sure. On a BND, the black line appears to go through the eye, the nose is longer, and the mouth is under the nose (but opens more or less vertically, like a tarpon's.) Here a link to a picture:

http://www.dcnature.com/photosfull/Rhinichthys_atratulus.jpg

It could be any of a number of species of shiner, most of them have prominent black lateral stripes.

I'm not so sure. On a BND, the black line appears to go through the eye, the nose is longer, and the mouth is under the nose (but opens more or less vertically, like a tarpon's.) Here a link to a picture:

http://www.dcnature.com/photosfull/Rhinichthys_atratulus.jpg

It could be any of a number of species of shiner, most of them have prominent black lateral stripes.

I'm with redietz. Looks a little differant from a BND. I'd personally say Common creek chub.

I'm changing my ID to the recently described " Dinky little fish that is mostly silver and olive with a faded dark lateral stripe. " Interestingly, they are only found in the water you got it from.

but really, most fish species are SO variable in markings that often times the only way to make a positive ID is by fin ray counts and morphology, and scale count and morphology. If the fish is stressed or dead, color and pattern are not that easy to read. There are field guides and websites which can step you through the process of "keying out" all the structures and arriving at a positive ID. You might need a microscope to do it on a fish that small though. Ain't it FUN?

really D5? The more I look at it, the more I still think it's a BND. The markings near the tail up the body just say BND to me :dunno:

To help identify this minnow.

Where did you find it?

Fresh or salt?

River, pond or lake?

I have one question to help me with this pic.

What kind or ruler where you using? Looks metric.

These couple questions will help everyone make there final decision.