Fly Tying
flyguy613

Deceivers

Never tied any saltwater flies, however a highly possible trip for Stripers this year has got me to try my hand at a few.

First I did some clousers in a few sizes, bucktail of course and some with craft fur. Now im tying some Deceivers for the first time, really simple pattern that I imagine will be just deadly.

Any opinions / constructive criticism welcome on these, wondering if I got the taper right as I havent dunked any of these yet.

Gamakatsu SC15 - 1/0

Saddle hackle, bucktail, krystal flash, flashabou

5mm, 7mm eyes with Loon thin resin head

Veevus 100D gsp

a4lr2u.jpg

15s3ad2.jpg

I always prefer contrast over solid colors. That Chart/white is my favorite.

Nice ties, good luck on the trip.

If these are the first you've ever tied, you did an excellent job with them. Those will catch Stripers for sure! smile.png

I've likely tied thousands of them. I like a bit more flash in mine, mainly because the waters I use them in are not usually very clear.

The only tip I can give you is try to use the finest bucktail you have available particularly as you go smaller with the fly sizes. That often means from the tip end of the tail. Use the hair closer to the base only if you tie them really large. The finer hair will "swim" better, and maintain a better profile. The courser hair tends to flair more, which is not the ideal hair for them. It also tends to make them harder to sink since it's buoyant. Sometimes not a big deal, as once wet it still has movement, but Stripers can get picky at times about the size prey they'll key in on. You don't want your flies to appear bigger than the natural prey if they're keying on a specific size. Of course, nothing is ever set in stone with fishing! laugh.png

I tie some very large jigs, so when I've used up the finer hair, I'll use that courser hair for the big jigs.

Here's one I've tied. It's on a size 3/0 hook, about 4 1/2" long. Notice how fine the hair is I used & the resulting profile.

100_4183A.jpg

Thanks for the kind words gents, tidewater fly that is a great tip thanks for pointing it out. I will be tying alot more for the trip, I will post another tonight probably

I haven't tied one but have a comment: from the location of the eyes, I'd guess that those flies run with the barb on top, in which case IMO the colors on the chartreuse/white are reversed (to resemble a baifish, you'd want white on the bottom).

Am I wrong guys?

FlaFly, no, hook point down on those. They can be tied inverted if you wish, but would need barbell eyes or something else to invert them.

If they were weighted eyes it would definitely make the fly ride the other way but these are just adhesive eyes with resin around them it doesn't seem to affect anything

flyguy SC15 1/0 is a great hook for stripers, plus the great job you did on those deceivers, you will hook up in my opinion, I have no criticism.

They look great. I like to run them under warm water under the sink faucet when I want to see what they look like wet. They will take thier shape. Hang to drip dry and they will maintain the shape. Or you can just wait to fish them.

SC15s and mustad 34007 1/0s are my go to hooks for stripers, sometimes you have to hone the 34007s a might.

Nice ties. There's another variation you might want to look at Bob Popovics' Buck Tail Deciever. Not the best picture but here's a weedless one I tied for pike.

post-309-0-12882900-1456688723_thumb.jpg