Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chase Creek

Small Nymph Fuzzer-upper

I tie lots of small nymphs, and always like to rough the body up, going for the "buggy" look. Have used a piece of velcro on a stick, and the other tricks, but sometimes it's hard to do on a small fly.

Next time you go to the dentist, ask him if he has any of those small files they use in doing root canals. The best way to describe them is they are like a very small drill bit, but with serratted edges like a file. They have a small handle and come in different sizes. You want the largest size. They work great for fuzzing up the bodies of small flys.

While your there, ask if they have any old hemostats or pics. You can figure out what to do with those.

Good tip Chase....I got a couple of these from my dentist about 20 years ago,and epoxied one into the end of a 3/8" dowel....It serves me well,'til this day!!!

I am fishing with my dentist tommorrow. Do you have any idea what these tools are called so I can get one from him.

Also ask your dentist for the flat pieces of( lead ) ? from the xrays cut in strips and wrap on hook as weight or to form under body

Sign in to follow this