Fly Tying
jmkratt

Nuclear Egg?

I have been searching for a recipe for a Nuclear Egg online and books, magazines, and books but can't find one. It doesn't look all that difficult, but I can't figure it out. Everything I have tried for the "nuclear" effect doesn't turn out well. Can anyone here offer any help?

Thanks either way!

Pretty simple. just tie an egg like you normally would and then add the "vailing" by taking egg yarn and tying it in loosely, letting in spin around the hook as you wrap. here is an example of one that I did. sometimes like like to tie in a bit of estaz prior to making my egg, such as the case in this one. hope that helps.

IPB Image

Just regular egg yarn? And do you just tie it in by the eye of the hook, or do you wrap the yarn to the back and tie off?

Thanks for the help!

Just regular egg yarn? And do you just tie it in by the eye of the hook, or do you wrap the yarn to the back and tie off?

Thanks for the help!

I use mcfly foam to create the egg itself. Then I take regular egg yarn and create the vailing, I tie in the vailing just in fron of the hook eye, and trim off. I find that mcfly foam is much easier to work with when doing eggs, however its properties don't allow it to be used as effectively when creating the vailing around a nuke egg...thats just one man's opinion.

Right on guys, good call on the McFly Foam - I will try that as I had just been using Glo-Bug Yarn.

My final question is, just to confirm...I tie a regular egg with McFly Foam and then take some Glo-Bug Yarn and secure it at the front of the egg to let the yarn wrap around the egg to get the nuclear effect?

Seems easy enough!

Right on guys, good call on the McFly Foam - I will try that as I had just been using Glo-Bug Yarn.

My final question is, just to confirm...I tie a regular egg with McFly Foam and then take some Glo-Bug Yarn and secure it at the front of the egg to let the yarn wrap around the egg to get the nuclear effect?

Seems easy enough!

you got it!

If you want an egg that is going to get down fast and really produce I strongly recommend tying one like Day 5 has shown you. A big problem with egg flies is most are over dressed and the sink rate is terrible. Dan Walker (known as the Egg Man) ties "nukes by simply dubbing a small amount of egg yarn for nucleus, about the size of a BB, in a hot color, then he ties in a small amt. in front of the nuke so the excess is pointing out in front of hook(with a distribution wrap) Once it is secure he pulls back the yarn facing forward so it now whisps back and ties it down, looks just like Day 5"s sample then you can trim to length

If you want an egg that is going to get down fast and really produce I strongly recommend tying one like Day 5 has shown you. A big problem with egg flies is most are over dressed and the sink rate is terrible. Dan Walker (known as the Egg Man) ties "nukes by simply dubbing a small amount of egg yarn for nucleus, about the size of a BB, in a hot color, then he ties in a small amt. in front of the nuke so the excess is pointing out in front of hook(with a distribution wrap) Once it is secure he pulls back the yarn facing forward so it now whisps back and ties it down, looks just like Day 5"s sample then you can trim to length

The nuclear eggs I bought for an example over the weekend look exactly as you have described, thank you.

As I was having similar issues with sink rate I tried experimenting with some glass beads my wife had for her crafts. I then tied the yarn over the bead and whip finished - it sunk much faster and I actually landed two nice Blue River Bows on them over the weekend. I like the Nuclear Pattern though, and will have to see about the methods you guys have described. Think I will tie a few this week and hit the river again this weekend and let you all know.

I appreciate all your help guys!