Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dadofmolly

Pigeon Forge/Gattlinburg TN

Planning a trip to Pigeon Forge at the end of October or first week of Nov. and would appreciate any info or recommendations on flies I should have with me, fish species, etc. Would also like info regarding small streams with easy publc access in that area as I can no longer bushwack or hike moderate distances due to heart conditions. Will only have a couple of days to fish, and prefer wading to boats. Thanks guys

I have fished the river across from the Orvis store. Mostly caught rock bass.

Heard the Little Piegon River is good for smallmouth.

For trout go into the park. Just pull off when you see a likely spot. You will be doing a lot of high sticking because of the boulders in the stream. May want to take a wading staff.

Don't fish in Gatlinburg, they require a permit on top of your license. At least they used to.

Check out Smokey Mountain Angler in Gatlinburg. They can put you on the flies that are working. Maybe hire a guide for a few hours. It will greatly reduce the learning curve for the area.

I would take size 16 to 18 Adams and some 18 bead head GRHE. From what I remember those are what I used with success. But by all means stop at the fly shop.

There are some beautiful streams in the park.

Good luck, you will have a good time.