Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bass master

Help on this vise. What is it.

Not at $490 it doesn't look that nice. You should be able to do a translate on that page and most of it is English.

R$ = Brazilian real, not USD. Exchange rate puts the price near $160 US

The vise appears to be an econo-knockoff (but not a copy) of a J-vice. The jaws look like a dual screw version of the original J-vice jaws. Then there is the "gooseneck" (Jay's term) that is peculiar to the J-vice; however, this feature in this Brazilian offering appears to be too small to offer the range of adjustment, ergonomics and comfort as intended in Jay's design.

Other than the use of ball bearings in the shaft housing and hardened steel jaws, I can't decipher much from the Portuguese text.

No, It is not a J Vise, I can assure you of that. It is a Morsas Tifer Vise. On the attachment above, pick the "shop now". On the next page that pops up, there is a address in the upper right corner. Pick it. It will go to the web site for that vise. It's actually a pretty nice site with fly recipes.

As they say in their info, they were not trying to reinvent the wheel, just using ideas already out there and trying to improve... I would like to play with one, looks interesting...

Dave.