Fly Tying

So I just got this new rod which is a 10' 3wt rod custom built by Midwest Custom Fly Rods. Its amazing! In many of my episodes I had trouble landing larger fish on these small 24-28 sized midges. I would always pull these small hooks right out of the fishes mouth. But now having a 10' light action rod, really helps me keep from putting too much pressure on the fish.

I hooked 2 fish all day, and both were rather large. Unfortunately I did loose one of those fish, but that is still 50% for the day, so not too bad! Especially with these tiny midges. The fish I landed was about 18" and the one I lost I think was at least that, if not up to 20". Pretty fun day.
The wind got really bad throughout the day, and I had to move to the braids in order to get out of the wind. There were times where I couldn't even get my fly line to stay on the water. Also there was tons of junk in the water. Mostly moss and algae, but some leaves and small twigs as well. I spent half the time cleaning my flies from this junk. So while I was able to land a great rainbow trout on a small midge which made it a great day, it was also a frustrating day as well.
This was a Saturday, so it was really busy. Literally every spot was taken. I finally was able to find a few secluded spots away from people, but this took a lot of walking around.

Oops I meant to put this in the fishing section, not the tying section. How do I move it? Or do I need to delete it and re-post in the right section?

Next up is working on your netting tactics, when you see him in the net lift the danged thing out of the water a bit. That rod though looks like it handles very well !

Thanks Dave. I thought I did lift him out of the water a bit... more? maybe it didnt show on the video with my edits... ill re-watch.

I don't know, when I net fish ( not that often ) I lead them in head first. Then as it's lifted he can't swim out. I don't really like taking the fish out of the water though and prefer not to handle them any more than needed. So I reach in with hemostats and pluck the fly out and let em go. The fish generally was never starved of water. I figure if I had a hook stuck in my mouth I wouldn't be a fan of being stuffed under water to have it removed. Why would a fish love being out of water for this to occur then. A marine biologist told me you should never handle fish with dry hands or gloves, that you intend to release. Fish slime is removed and that's their protective coating against infection. Course if I'm taking a fish I bust it's neck or slice it's throat ( that's a Maine regulation actually that I adopted for anywhere I take fish). Just sayin. Anyone else is free to do as they wish.

No need to move it. It'll get the same amount of attention on either forum.

I think the issue with the netting was the part where you chased it from behind. I'm sure you know that leading the fish into the net will always work better then trying to "snatch" the fish out with the net. Excitement of the moment ... everyone makes a mistake here and there.

Nice looking fish. Glad to hear the rod is working out well.

No need to move it. It'll get the same amount of attention on either forum.

I think the issue with the netting was the part where you chased it from behind. I'm sure you know that leading the fish into the net will always work better then trying to "snatch" the fish out with the net. Excitement of the moment ... everyone makes a mistake here and there.

Nice looking fish. Glad to hear the rod is working out well.

I'm not too worried about the attention, I just feel bad putting it in the wrong section.

I don't know, when I net fish ( not that often ) I lead them in head first. Then as it's lifted he can't swim out. I don't really like taking the fish out of the water though and prefer not to handle them any more than needed. So I reach in with hemostats and pluck the fly out and let em go. The fish generally was never starved of water. I figure if I had a hook stuck in my mouth I wouldn't be a fan of being stuffed under water to have it removed. Why would a fish love being out of water for this to occur then. A marine biologist told me you should never handle fish with dry hands or gloves, that you intend to release. Fish slime is removed and that's their protective coating against infection. Course if I'm taking a fish I bust it's neck or slice it's throat ( that's a Maine regulation actually that I adopted for anywhere I take fish). Just sayin. Anyone else is free to do as they wish.

I agree with you Dave, however it's hard to make a good video if I never show with the fish. But I do always make sure that I wet my hands before handling the fish. I have yet to have a fish not swim off healthy and happy. I also always try as well to remove the hook while the fish is in the water. I try To remove the hook while the fish is in the water. I try to keep the fish in the water as long as possible

I've been fishing for 61 years now, and I'm 100% sure that not all my releases were healthy fish swimming off. Especially if you're fishing a catch and release only area and long shanked barbed streamer hooks that got in a gill. That fish is going belly up down stream someplace, no way you're getting that hook out and it isn't lethal. But there is no shortage of wildlife that would like to feed on it either..

Yah, I use pinched barbs mostly unless I'm fishing for dinner. Nice thing about midge fishing is it's just about always binked someplace in a lip.