Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Moth ID

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BruceC

BruceC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hi,

I just found this lovely creature sitting on the siding of my front door. The location is Spring Valley, NY. I've never seen anything like this around here before.

Thanks,
Bruce
Attached File  CorwinBug.JPG   1.26MB   59 downloads
Attached File  CorwinBug2.JPG   1.24MB   41 downloads

#2 Fred H.

Fred H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

This is the Ailanthus Webworm Moth (Atteva punctella ) It is a ermine moth , menber of the yponomeutidae family. As A catapillar they feed on ailantus and paridise trees , thus the name. New York is part of their normal range.

Fred
"My head is a prison, my times on the water are conjugal visits" Fred Hannie

visit my website http://www.realisticflytying.net

#3 BruceC

BruceC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

This is the Ailanthus Webworm Moth (Atteva punctella ) It is a ermine moth , menber of the yponomeutidae family. As A catapillar they feed on ailantus and paridise trees , thus the name. New York is part of their normal range.

Fred

Thanks, Fred. Well you have the photos now... I see a new realistic in the making :>).

Regards
Bruce C

#4 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

Thank you for posting that. I've seen a few of those here in NC. I pulled up the Wikipedia entry for more information:
http://en.wikipedia....lanthus_webworm