Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Freshwater Bugs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:30 PM

I figured anyone in this part of the forum would be able to answer my following question. What are some of the staple freshwater insects in the great lakes region. Larva, Duns, Emergers, Adults, everything. If this helps at all, I will probably be using these in streams and rivers surrounding the great lakes. If possible, I would also like some fly names or even your own personal fly pics and videos. I know about the basics like caddis flies but I'm mainly looking for the less known insects.

#2 ihang10

ihang10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

I'd start by googling "match Midwest hatch" or something close to that.

Where in the Midwest? I have a chart for MI somewhere. MI, Ohio, penn, MN probably have close if not the same insects. They are all gonna hatch at different times.

#3 ihang10

ihang10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

http://www.trailstot...om/mihatch.html

#4 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:19 PM

Thank you both and I live near lake Huron just north west of lake Ontario

#5 artimus001

artimus001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:10 PM

you will find most of your answers here. this man knows his flies and then some.

http://www3.sympatic...ames/index.html

i'm the ghetto fly guy; enjoying the sport of kings, on a pauper's budget

if you have something to say, you'd better bring your own soapbox

i'm older than dirt, but younger than the universe