Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JayWirth

Bucktail Jig Video

Good video. Just what I needed, as I have started tying bucktail jigs and feather jigs.

What type vice is that?

Good video. Just what I needed, as I have started tying bucktail jigs and feather jigs.

What type vice is that?

Im using a Universal 2 vise made by Universal Vise Corp. Ive been tying on this particular one around 20 years. I still have the one I started on and used close to 15 years but it was getting a little worn. These can be found on ebay pretty regular and in fairly good shape.

My tying began over 40 years ago pouring and tying bucktails and tying teasers for the salt. Still tying them for striped bass but not much else. The good thing about bucktail jigs is there is no wrong way to tie them. With that said, I have never stacked the hairs. One of the best attributes of bucktail is not only the taper of each hair but also the taper of the collective hairs as it's cut off the tail. Cut a clump off the tail, get rid of the fluff and tie it on with no stacking for a perfectly tapered jig every time. When tying with synthetic material I will pull it out and build that taper into the material clump but bucktail naturally tapers so that taper should be taken advantage of and not removed imho.

I like the vise!

Hey Poopdeck - We've been tying the same length of time. I align hairs by hand to maintain a natural shape also aligning the hairs to be more uniform helps with avoiding short strikes. Here in NY we are fishing walleye who may not always engulf the bait but nip at the tail. Tiers all strive to recreate patterns with the proper look and proportion of the original pattern and our understanding of how these look / work in nature. Though I wouldn't dictate strictly the material proportions like I would in tying a Catskill dry fly I am usually tying for resale and try to maintain a consistent look.

Tight Lines.

Don't you find tapered hair to be more of a natural shape? Ive seen synthetic jigs tied with tip alignment but I can't say I've ever seen a bucktail jig with its tips aligned. Perhaps it a regional preference.

I will have to show the tail detail in a future video. Since I am stacking by hand that hair is not perfectly aligned, I am still maintaining a natural look. If it was just a matter of aligning the hair we could tie it on and trim the ends - but that would be terrible.