Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Articulated Brahma (or Soft Hackle) Bugger

fly tying brahma wooly bugger streamer streamer fly tying a streamer

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:06 PM

A few months ago I tied up a fly called the Brahma Bugger, which I did not invent but loved fishing and tying the fly very much!  The fly was originally tied by the tightlines youtube channel, and I re-named the fly "soft hackle bugger" because I did not use a brahma pelt, but instead used a soft hackle pelt from whiting.  That video did really well, and that fly has been an amazing fish catcher for me.  So I set out to improve on the fly, and make it better for a wider range of fish species.  

I wanted to articulate the fly, and give it even more movement in the water.  So I present you with the articulated brahma bugger, which catches more fish than I could imagine.  In fact, it far out fished any other fly I had with me on my last trip.  I could not keep the fish off of it.  And it seemed to attract some really large trout as well!    This articulated fly is really my favorite streamer now, and I don't think I will be fishing anywhere without at least a few in my box. 

As always I am listing all the materials I used on this fly.

Hook:  Firehole sticks #811 in size 6
Shank: Small sized Fish Joint
Thread:  Veevus 6/0 in Olive
Feathers:  Whiting Coq de Leon soft hackle with chickabou pelt died Chartreuse
Wire:  Small Intruder wire in black
Cement: Brush on Zap a Gap
Head cement:  Solarez "Bone Dry" UV resin 

Fly fishing and fly tying videos
www.McFlyAngler.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fly tying, brahma, wooly bugger, streamer, streamer fly, tying a streamer