Fly Tying
beaverfsu

SALTWATER: What do you Use?

SALTWATER: What do you Use?  

309 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok Salties, here is your chance. What do you use the MOST?

My apologies for any missed categories. :coffee:

Before I get creamed: :gunsmilie: Salmon flies are so unique, they get their own cat. Some might say the same about tarpon or bonefish flies....

its hard to vote on 1 fly when I use clousers, deceivers, and poppers equally on the jersey coast...i did vote deceiver though..

Its hard to vote what I use the most.

So went for the with hackle of some kind, does a hackle of marabou count? this year I was mostly using Beastmasters (small), with clousers pretty close.

Ashley

This year was a big change for me to bendbacks. I can toss them into the mangroves and have a reasonable chance of getting them out!

IPB Image

The fly I use the most is a synthetic baitfish - similar to a deciever in function if not form.

Just an aside "saltwater" is a pretty big place - what works in one area may not work in another even if you are targeting the same species.

I voted for the Deceiver but my favorites these days are Bucktail Deceiver, Flatwing, Jiggy and Rubber Candy, with occasional Mega Mushy when blues are eating adult bunker. These are for stripers & blues on Long Island. (Love those Bob Pop flies!)

I use Clousers more than anything else, but have promised myself that I'll tie and try a lot of new stuff this next season.

Bill

I dunno. I gotta have rabbit in there somewhere. Kinda hard to put in a Clouser or Deciever, so I voted, "other wets."

Jeff

I know that in some arenas this is sacrilege, but when sight casting/fly fishing for redfish in shallow waters, the very best "fly" is a gold spoon fly that "flutters"!

Therefore, I had to vote for epoxied...

Hey bowfin I 100% agree. I have had tremendous luck with gold epoxy spoon flies.

Not only do they catch reds but almost everything else too.

I myself, like using the deceivers. I think because it's about the only saltwater fly that I can tie at this point in my flyfishing career!!!! I am fairly new at this whole fly fishing thing. Been working on it for a year now. Started in saltwater and have recently relocated to Colorado, so now I have to figure out how to fish and tie freshwater. Oh the challenge never ceases!!! :D