Fly Tying
kenmorr

Squid fly question

Why are squid flies typically tied in white? I have never seen a white squid in the water, they're more brownish red, so that's the color I usually try to match. I'm curious why more people don't do the same.

Most I see and most i tie are not in white. I tie them in a multitude of colors, primarily consisting of combined colors such as orange, pink, gray, white, gingers, and browns. Orange is particularly popular for stripers in the Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New York areas.

Conjecture from experience:

A lot of flies (lures) are available in white (even if they are also made in other colors).

Main reasons, I believe are visibility and "difference".

In clear or murky water, the white fly is as good as it gets for distance ... drawing in curious fish from many yards away. Although nothing is pure white in nature ... most creatures have white on them somewhere, so predators don't shy away from it.

And it's well known that predators key in on "difference". A bait fish that is acting more erratically than others is targeted. A bait that stands out from others ... is targeted. Once the predator is drawn in by the white "thing" in the distance ... the fact that it's different than other squid is the trigger to attack it.

Thank you for the responses, I can see the white is different/ visable angle, but it just hasn't worked for me in the past. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'll stick with other colors for squid.

Denduke, I like the look of those, are you doing the craft fur bodies as a sort of dubbing brush or just making it flare some other way?

Just doubling thread/twist simple dubbing deal then trim/ color incorporate the legs. Eye on first, tie in fibers/ legs, wrap dub front of eye then behind to the hook eye finish couple more legs tie off trim to shape/color....

Forgot about my sqwimpdads....the lead eyes at the eye not bend of hook and mono eyes have glass beads on em. Multi function deal!

9F2F8A90-AD6B-437D-9E9C-0B418BD6AAF5-117

They can definitely be pretty white. A lot are like you described but I see some white ones around me in the East coast

Interesting point to note. That a workable jig perform very well in Malaysia catching squid but never work at all in Thailand. I was so surprise. In Thailand the squid take different kind of jig. I went to Thailand for fishing trip, the reason is I heard the fishermen catch squid very differently and it is their secret. So I want to see. this is the step. First they ON the white light,all the squid will come. Then they ON their secret like red light (off white light) which are covered by cloth to protect been copied. then the squid will faint and float. yes faint and float. Then they simply scoop up the squid.

Mine. Craft fur colored w/sharpie, lead eyes, rubber legs

102_10951.JPG

Very interesting tye!