Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adam Saarinen

Going to Australia!

Got plane tickets to go to Australia for 4weeks just after Christmas! This will be my first time flyfishing the real salt! The places i can fish is the N.S.W south coast, bellow Sydney! Any information on places to fish, flies & what species are around in january is much appriciated! I will take atleast a 8 & 10wt, hope to try Bluewater fishing too! Thankyou!

Flats ....Not down South there isn't lol

Flathead,bream, Australian Salmon ...not the freshwater kind ,

You may be able to target Kingfish on fly down there Ads...I think April Vokey has tried that .

There will be different sub species of trevally though , You could even have a shot at Estuary perch or whiting on poppers.

And the list goes on .

Thanks for trying to help Flats, but retro is wright, it's not tropical water! Thanks retro! Both my sisters live in Vincentia so that's the area i will be! Dew fish from the surf would be nice, they get big! Sydney has a guide, Kingfish on fly expert, have to look into that maybe? Hoping a lurker from the area might come to the table with info!

If I were younger and my back not all jacked up I'd love to go and try my hand at some rugby and show the Aussies how to drink beer!🍺

Yeah good try Flats. Unfortunately I'm in the north, but I would invite Adam up to have a fish if he had the time.

South coast will be an interesting choice. Not sure exactly of options, but would suggest Bream, flathead, tailor and estuary perch in shore.

Yellow tail kings could be a lot of fun if you can find someone to help you out there.

And Pink Snapper.

For flies check out Chris Beech from Flymax Australia. He ties commercially for those kinds of areas specifically.

Thanx Dave! But it's a bit fare & inland flights arn't cheap! I did look at one guy Justin Duggan, kings & Aussie salmon in Sydney harbour, $625 single angler hole day! Have to look at more yet & down the coast! Surf fishing & off the rocks are going to happen down there, have to do a lot of resurch, but i'll be happy with anything!

Thanx Dave! But it's a bit fare & inland flights arn't cheap! I did look at one guy Justin Duggan, kings & Aussie salmon in Sydney harbour, $625 single angler hole day! Have to look at more yet & down the coast! Surf fishing & off the rocks are going to happen down there, have to do a lot of resurch, but i'll be happy with anything!

Are you visiting family Ads ?

There's plenty of good fishing down that way ...go to a local tackle shop /bait shop and someone preferably a local will sort you out .

You know how friendly us Aussies are lol

I remember when I lived in QLD years ago ...I was fishing in the rain on the pine river just north of Briz vegas...I was out the front of a row of holiday homes it was peeing down ...so much so I could hardly see .

I was in shorts and tee-shirt and the mandatory thongs ( that's flip flops for our Northern counterparts )

Some old guy rushed out with a massive Rain Coat and shouted you'll be good to keep fishing now lol

I said cheers mate and promptly caught a 1kg Bream from under one of the smallish vessels moored in the creek.

But hey that's Australia for yer lol

The bloke even came out later with a hot cuppa for me ...an absolute ripper of a fella .

Retro

Yeh Retro! One sister lives in Vincentia short walk to Jervis bay, the other lives short walk to StGoerges basin, aparently to hot spots, had a quick look at target species on fly in Jervis bay, Australian Salmon-eastern, Kingfish, Marlin-Black, Tailor, Tuna-Striped, Tuna-Yellowfin. Have to find a guide down there & forget Sydney!:-)

You won't need a guide for half of that Ads

Just go to a pub and chat to a local and go out on his boat lol it's that simple bro

My brother Carl lived in St Georges Basin for a good number of years but I never managed a visit ( my bad )

But he would always tell me the fishing was awesome and the sand was the whitest in Aussie

Thanks Retro! Good idea! Your right about the sand too, white as white! Is also a beach bit further south that has the whitest sand in the world, i haven't seen it yet!;-)