Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
islander727

Loading a Dr. Slick Glass Bobbin Troubles!

I received a Dr. Slick glass bobbin as a gift and I cannot get this thing loaded. My bobbin threader stops on the bottom insert. I've tried the sucking method. The only success I've had is by using a straight piece of non tox wire and pulling the thread through that way.

Anyone have a trick or experience with this thing?

Notice they aren't marketed as "Fast and easy to thread."

I'd say you're on the right path with the straight wire, or get a wire bobbin threader. Nylon dental floss threaders can have a slight curve so will likely be frustrating to use. Any threader that doesn't track straight or isn't stiff enough for you to manipulate will spend most of its time wandering in the valley between the inserts.

My experience with bobbin tubes with inserts is that I won't use them. With the exception of a MP TT bobbin, all mine have straight ceramic or stainless tubes.

i had no problems with the insert thread and draw method

the hole in the tube is smaller than most bobbin holders

maybe i inserted a little more the a 1/2 inch of thread??

try waxing your thread to make it a little bit stiffer

bend a piece of fine gold/silver/copper wire in half and insert it into the thread tube at the spooll end.

insert the thread into the loop in the wire and pull it through

I've had the same thing happen w/ a Dr. Slick ceramic bobbin holder. I rotate the threader as I insert it into the tube, that works too.

I've had the same thing happen w/ a Dr. Slick ceramic bobbin holder. I rotate the threader as I insert it into the tube, that works too.

Same here. I have the ceramic inserts, not the glass model.

Yep, like those guys said. Since my wire thread finally broke I've been using a dental floss threader on those kinds of bobbins but making sure the plastic is dead straight before pushing it through.

re: dental threader...

it sounds as if there's an edge or a slight misalignment inside the bobbin tube...

possible easy fix:

try melting the end of the dental treader to round off the stem to create a slight bead...

the bead should better slide past the "impediment"...

NOT nothing... BARELY something...

Just sayin'...

This worked. Thank you!

This worked. Thank you!

Cool, you're welcome