Fly Tying
littleman

caddis question

i found some caddis in a stream and took them home. their not in their case but their in a cocoon type thing. so my question is is their anyway to keep them alive and let them hatch. thanks

Littleman,

I have seen caddis flies seal of the end of their cases and attach themselves to rocks like a cacoon but am unsure why they do it. You may be able to hatch them as long as the water is oxygenated enough like a fish tank and kept cool enough. Sorry I wasn't more help.

Good luck,

Rob

Assuming you have a pupa (and not one of the tent-making caddis larva), an adult caddisfly should emerge from the cocoon if you can keep it alive throughout its pupal period. Keep it in a gallon or more of its home water and try to maintain a similar temperature. You should oxygenate the water: a small air pump connected to a "bubble stone" should work fine. (Both are used by people who keep fish in tanks.) Good luck!

thanks guys their still alive and you can see the wings turning colors its cool. Im curious to see what they look like when they hatch