Fly Tying
leftyangler

Albino Golden stone nymph!?

My bug collection goes on. It's been fun.

Today I found this unique color Stonefly nymph. As in my last topic, there are abundunt of Golden Stone nymphs in Livingston's spring creeks. post-46223-0-25402900-1361415668_thumb.jpg

post-46223-0-68266800-1361415699_thumb.jpg

Whole appearance was on Golden (size & shape). But is this albino? or a new species?

I just thought interesting anyway......

For updates, check up here.

http://leftyangler.blogspot.com/p/sp.html

In Eric Leiser's book Stoneflies and the Angler, he talks about how when stoneflies (and other insects) molt they are often light colored. They then color up later. He talks about how fish often key in on that light color and he ties white or cream stonefly nymphs to match it and how successful that is. I do as well - altho it is unclear to me how much the success is do to the fact that the fish keys into it or that I can see it in the water so well. Anyway, my current favorite is a gold ribbed possum's ear (a joke, possums don't have hair on their ears). But the hair on their face is a beautiful translucent cream.

Mebbe that is what you got ...

E

Thanks anglers.

I myself "googled" and found this article of my tying hero Jack Gartside.

http://www.jackgartside.com/step_filter_fly.htm

As EricF mentions, Eric Leiser is quoted here too. It's stating just about the same (I believe).

It's quite educational to me, starting from just a bug. I should tie some "albino flies" for several species and experiment!

That would be the instar portion of the moult. The nymph can be White to a bright shade of Yellow for a short time. It is my opinion that most Golden Stone patterns duplicate this stage of a nymphs life cycle than any other stage.

I have zero evidence of this. Just a hunch.

I tie and fish a creamy/very lite tan stonefly nymph, yes it works pretty good. Good enough to tie and fish some. Great find by the way.

when saltwater crabs, edible, velvet and swimming, molt, they release a pheromone fish home in on. Bait guys call them peeler crabs. (cause the shells peel off) Maybe hard backed nymphs also release a smell that turns fish on???

That would be the instar portion of the moult.

Sorry dubbn you are using the term incorrectly. "Instar" refers to the entire period from change-to-change. In other words, a First instar larva is first instar from the time it emerges from an egg until it moults the first time. A Fourth instar larva would be from the time it has moulted the third time until it moults the fourth time. Final instar, for a stonefly, is from the time it moults the last time into a larger nymph until it exits the water and moults into an adult.

I found this exact bug in the big manistee river along with some big blacks.

I couldn't believe the body differences between the 2.

the blacks were rounder like most of my flies but the gold was flat like a woven fly.

also they were much longer than my flies.

I was using 2xl hooks but now have switched to 3xl.

That would be the instar portion of the moult.

Sorry dubbn you are using the term incorrectly. "Instar" refers to the entire period from change-to-change. In other words, a First instar larva is first instar from the time it emerges from an egg until it moults the first time. A Fourth instar larva would be from the time it has moulted the third time until it moults the fourth time. Final instar, for a stonefly, is from the time it moults the last time into a larger nymph until it exits the water and moults into an adult.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instar

I stand corrected.