Fly Tying
jimmyboy

cheap materials

was looking around my house for fly tying materials, you know the random stuff you just find. i found dental floss, it was oral-b satin and it was thin and flat. i started tying and what do you know it produced a quill like body. havent tried dying yet but it is white so it should work. will post pictures later.

does any one else know any thing that you would just randomly find laying around your house that can be used for fly tying.

Yep, dog hair is common in my flies. As is dryer lint as dark gray dubbing.

strange yarn my wife got for a craft project, nail polish for lacquer heads, clear coatings otherwise, or painted eyes or dots.

old christmas tinsel for flash.

I think thats all I've used from the house (So far anyway).

was looking around my house for fly tying materials, you know the random stuff you just find. i found dental floss, it was oral-b satin and it was thin and flat. i started tying and what do you know it produced a quill like body. havent tried dying yet but it is white so it should work. will post pictures later.

wait til you hit a craft store! :rolleyes:

When my wife buys a blouse, there are small rubber like pieces in the shoulders that are used to help hang them. She gives them to me, and they are just like Scud back material. I use it for my scuds and my Czech Nymphs.

I also us my dogs hair for dubbing. She is a white dog, so I can dye it almost any color I want.

Rick

Tabby cat fur, makes an awsome substitute for hare dubbing. Also, those plastic-coated twisty ties. You can strip off the plastic and use the wire for non-lead weight. Take my word for it, it works great.

Bet none of you guys have pet llamas like me that make awsome dry fly dub and the neighbors peacocks molt every year (im glad i live in the country)

Bet none of you guys have pet llamas like me that make awsome dry fly dub and the neighbors peacocks molt every year (im glad i live in the country)

Yes, but i bet you don't live in a national park where you can find fur and feathers every where. And if your really lucky even the odd piece of sasquatch fur :)