Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Flats Boots?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 dontheo

dontheo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Saltybum No offense but I think it is right on track. The point being that there is no shoe or boot that is universal. It ain't just what is in the water, but the structure of the bottom as well as the clarity. If its pristine water where I know there is nothing exotic the is going to kil me I like the dsand between the toes. If there are nasty critters in the water, you can't see crap and the surf is bouncing you around it's a whole new ball game. I don't think.there is one generic shoe.or boot. I have fished totally bare ass in Mexico on some remote beaches and have fished some places where they did a weekly syringe count of what medical waste came ashore.

Sometimes my mind just wonders

#32 Wavey1988

Wavey1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Just a thought, but fly fishing is a passive sport, if one considers it a sport at all.  However, there are not many trips I go on that don't result in a bruises, blood and aches and pains.  If you are not bleeding when fishing, you are not fishing hard enough.  

Earlier today, I got into a fight with inertia, gravity and the lessened friction of a slick lakeside bank. I lost and my shin bore the brunt of it. Got 3 brand new stitches and some gnarly bruising

#33 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,726 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

Remember, when talking to the girls, they're war wounds.  They don't have to know what kind of war.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#34 bkatz1

bkatz1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Simms makes a good flats bootie and sneaker if your still looking. i bought the sneakers for unseen oyster bars in SW Florida. I stepped on a horse shoe crab one as well... not fun!

"Why cant all fish be as aggressive as saltwater fish"

#35 Saltybum

Saltybum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Stingrays like to cover themselves over with sand making them hard to see and smaller the harder yet to see even in gin clear water when I'm focusing on the water around me not under my feet. I found myself last spring shin deep water with something wiggling under my foot and looked down and picked up my foot to see a 12" ray scoot out. Glad I had on real booties. In the salt I never wade without good foot protection. You just never know what can be just under the surface of the sand out of sight.

Life is too serious to take it too seriously!

#36 MayflyMeyhem

MayflyMeyhem

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Went to Belize thinking I needed to trick out with expensive flats boots. Come to learn my guide (who was second to none) simple wore Crocks. No kidding, and swears by them. He has a few regulars that bring him new ones every year. Go figure.
Make mine a Lagavulin, Laphroig or Ardbeg - neat

#37 todvan

todvan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Thanks everyone.  I have some boots on the way from Bass Pro.  I hope these will be what I need and are easier to pack in the suitcase than my regular wading boots.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Fish on.....

#38 rikflaxman

rikflaxman

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:03 PM

I need to know which product is the best from the ones listed on the site?

#39 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:43 PM

Of the shoes list the ONLY one that I saw that was actually meant for wading in the flats, surf, or other water was the Hodgman Neoprene.  The rest are all deck shoes used while on a boat, not wading.  

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#40 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 02:45 PM

They're are lots of options for neoprene boots for surf fishing or wading, sims and Patagonias can often be found pretty discounted.